Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk and Test  (Read 13337 times)

Offline niceguylogin

Risk and Test
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:54:34 am »
Thanks for this gr8 forum.
31 years male, uncircumzied guy here.
I made a stupid mistake and I had a few condom protected vaginal sex and the last time, condom broke.  Now that I learned she was +, I am sorry for her and at the same time feel betrayed and depressed. I had a test on the 76th day and it came up negative. All the previous encounters were more than 3 months old when I took the test. Can you please tell me what my risks are and can I have unprotected sex with my wife.

The other encounter that I had was a unprotected insertive oral (Just that).  I have read several times in this forum about the 0 risk of it. Does it stand true for uncircumsized individuals as well. As well 3 weeks after that encounter I have been having stiff back and small red bumps on my back (around 15 of them), below the shoulder on my back. Nothing on the front part of my body. Last couple days I had slight burning sensation down the anus in the morning after I finished my restroom business.(stool)...sorry pardon my english.It is 4 weeks since that unprotected oral encounter now.
Sorry I am prepared to take any response. All I want is not to infect my wife, If I am at any risk at this stage. While I repent for my mistake once I come out clean I never want to be in any sort of such non-sense relationships. When I called the AIDS hotline they suggest me to take tests at the appropriate time to eliminate the risk of unprotected insertive oral as well.
Awaiting your response....Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Risk and Test
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:04:45 am »
Receiving is absolutely no risk whether circumcised or not.

As far as the incident in which the condom broke, technically to be absolutely certain you ought to re-test at 13 weeks. Your risk was extremely low to begin with. And having tested negative at  11 weeks means another negative is pretty much a slam dunk. But why live with even a fraction of doubt?

Also, for future reference keep using those condoms everytime if you have sex outside of your relationship. And only one condom at a time. People sometimes make a mistake and think that doubling them doubles the protection. It's quite the opposite. Doubling them makes breakage more likely.

As for your symptoms, that is something to discuss with your doctor. They are certainly not in any way suggestive of HIV.

I do expect you will come out of this ok.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:12:07 am »
I have scheduled an appointment for full std panel test for Jun8th. Can I take a rapid test on that day which will be the 87th day after the condom break incident. Will that be good enough.

I am understanding I dont have to do any test for the Oral incident. I am releived.

Yes that double condom mistake is what I did. Very ignorant from my part.  But does my 76th day negtaive result give me any assurance at all.
This could be a stupid question. Does seroconversion takes longer for lesser viral load. Or far lesser viral load is it possible the antibodies wouldn't show up for years.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:43:09 am »
I have scheduled an appointment for full std panel test for Jun8th. Can I take a rapid test on that day which will be the 87th day after the condom break incident. Will that be good enough.

I am understanding I dont have to do any test for the Oral incident. I am releived.

Yes that double condom mistake is what I did. Very ignorant from my part.  But does my 76th day negtaive result give me any assurance at all.
This could be a stupid question. Does seroconversion takes longer for lesser viral load. Or far lesser viral load is it possible the antibodies wouldn't show up for years.

Hi Andy can you please clarify my above questions when you get a chance. From the bottom of my heart I am thankful to this forum and the expert advise given.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:53:44 am »
Hey Guy,

Yes, a negative with the Oral at 87 days would be conclusive and final. And yes, I do expect you will get a negative result again.

Stop worrying about stuff like VL and seroconversion. You're just torturing yourself with more totally useless what ifs. Anegative at 76 days virtually guarantees you will continue to test negative.

And I expect that is what you will be reporting after your test.

Cheers.

Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:04:19 am »
Hi Andy,

The first time I took it was not a oral test. It was Blood test (20 minutes test). Should I do the Oral test instead. So is 76 day test invalidated?

Sorry about VL and seroconersion question. This is something what I heard as well there are confusing info about VL. It is like a negligible VL would not seroconvert or become contagious. I am not gonna worry about it, but has science thought about things in this perspective at all. 

I am an IT expert. We always account for all logical negative scenarios to implement any solution and no surprise my mind approaches this anxiety in the same way. But please do clarify me. I am thinking it isn't a absurd question.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:18:26 am »
The importance of the viral load is not in relation to the speed of seroconversion but rather in terms of infectiousness. A lower viral load is less risky.

No, your previous test was not a waste. It's why along with the rest of what you have reported that leads me to expect you to continue to test negative.

You need to get productively busy with other things in your life right now. You are torturing yourself unnecessarily. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:28:44 am »
The importance of the viral load is not in relation to the speed of seroconversion but rather in terms of infectiousness. A lower viral load is less risky.

Does this low VL ever turn into HIV or AIDS without any antibodies production timebeing.

No, your previous test was not a waste. It's why along with the rest of what you have reported that leads me to expect you to continue to test negative.

So Oral/Blood test both are valid. I will definetely report my 87th day negative test here.

You need to get productively busy with other things in your life right now. You are torturing yourself unnecessarily. Really.

Thanks Andy for you kindness. I will get back to work. But I am on my own. This situation is something that I cant even discuss with my close friends.  Thsi forum has helped me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:05 am »
I can't even guite get my head around what you're asking now about VL turning into ???? Man, you are just mixing and mismatching bits of quasi-information into stuff to bother yourself needlessly.

And please don't bother trying to clarify that for me.

You need to let it go and get on with your day.Really.

Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:27 pm »
Hi Andy,

You have been saying about 4-6 weeks seroconversion to 3 months conclusive result. Why is this period very asymptotic. Shouldn't this seroconversion be a steady curve as well. It looks a big gap between 6 weeks to 12 weeks. Has there been any studies about seroconversion in normal individuals (that are not under extensive medical conditions). I fail to understand the big leap from 6 weeks to 12 weeks.
To relate to my situation, what is my risk between 76 days to 87 (the next test I am planning to take).  I know this has been answered in indirect terms that there hasn't been any that sero-converted after 8 weeks in the past 5 years or so (Is it true). Is there any findings of serocoversion that has happened between 10 weeks to 13 weeks. 
I am so really finding it hard to wait over this weeked for a test on Monday.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:24:43 pm »
All you need to understand is your negative test will not be conclusive until your 3 month test is obtained.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 06:58:40 pm »
Hi Rod, Thanks for your answer.

I know my anxiety is annoying this forum moderators.

Can you pls. tell me

If it is true that there hasn't been any that sero-converted after 8 weeks in the past 5 years or so.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:35 pm »
Have no idea and it doesn't matter. You already been advised as when you can obtain a conclusive negative test.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
Hi,

I tested negative today on the 87th day. Will this be conclusive. The nurse at Planned Parenthood asks me to come back again after 6 months post exposure. I am confused. Is it needed....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 01:44:11 pm »
It was conclusive, you're negative.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 01:50:23 pm »
thanks.

But still it is just 36 days past the unprotected oral. I have been assured several times of this no risk situation. Can I forget about that and not do any testting. Again the nurse at Planned Parenthood wants me to test post 3 months after the unprotected oral as well.
Please re-assure me once again. It will be really punishing to wait 2 more months to test for this unprotected Oral sex. Am I at no rsik whatsoever even if blood was invlolved in the Oral sex episode,like she had bleeding gums? I have been having this head-ache since saturday. It is not perisistent,but comes and goes.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:51:51 pm »
That nurse at Planned Parenthood ought to know better. There is no need for further testing unless you are a longtime IV drug user and have shared needles. Otherwise you are conclusively HIV negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:54:06 pm »
There was absolutely no risk to you from getting your penis sucked. Zero. I'm appalled that someone  who a professional nurse would suggest otherwise.

You're negative. Get on with your life and stop all the drama.
Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:13 pm »
The nurse said a Risk is a risk whatsoever, even unprotected oral. She says 36 days is hardly any evident for a negative test. She quoted me CDC guidelines on Oralsex, as well gave me NY hotline. At NY AIDS hotline, eventhough they say the risk is less, but they do want me to test 3 months post oral exposure.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »
At no time were you at risk from or sex.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 02:03:57 pm »
One last question. Yesterday since I was feeling kinda lonely while waiting for today's test, I smoked and had 3 biers. It was around 5pm in the evening. The test was taken at 11am today. Can the alcohol have any effect on the tests. I will never come here again with another question. My only concern now is about the 3 biers I had. Please let me know and I will move on..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:54 pm »
No, having had three beers would not affect the accuracy of your test result.
Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:48 pm »
If i can request this, since all the moderators in this forum are very knowledgeable, is there anyway, these AIDS hotlines can avoid prescribing a 3 months test for Unprotected Oral sex as well. When all the info supplied in aidsmeds.com has been very convincing about the 0 risk of oral sex, why does most of the national AIDS hotlines still insist a test. Shouldn't they be responsible and give people the accurate info.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »
They all have the same information that we have.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 04:23:44 pm »
They dont seem to have the same info you and other experts in this site share with us.

New Jersey AIDS Hotline
In New Jersey: (800) 624-2377 (24 hrs, 7 days)

I spoke a person on this line. He recommends a 3months and 6 months test.  But he accepts it is a low risk. I dont know which way to go. I am having consistent head-ache today. It will be really helpful for us if atleast these national hotlines don't give wrong or irresponsible info to people and share/prescribe the same idea offered in this website. Again i know it is my choice to accept aidsmeds info or not. And I still standby aidsmeds advise. I am not looking anywhere else.
Can ARS appear as Head-ache alone? It is very unusual for me to get head-aches. Can ARS symptoms occur after 5 weeks? I am gonna logout of this site and I wish the info from responsible hotlines atleast are reliable. People dont have to go crazy googling info. Just calling national hotlines, or talking to nurses itself is enough to get confused.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »
http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

Page 11 number 4

Now you have it straight from the CDC training manual.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 04:29:40 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »
http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

Page 11 number 4

Now you have it straight from the CDC training manual.

That pdf doesn't say anything about oral sex at all. thanks for all the service.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 04:40:51 pm »
You got the three month testing guideline. It doesn't say anything about orall because it isn't a risk. End of Discussion.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »
Hi Andy,

Last 2-3 days I have been having consistent head-ache.  I have been tested negative on the 87th day.  Inspite of all assurances given about the 0 risk for oral, I am very much confused about this head-ache. I have never had any head-ache in my whole life before. Can any infection cause head-ache. It is 37 days past the unprotected oral sex I had.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 03:31:40 pm »
Headaches, feelings and anything else that is feeding your doubts notwithstanding, you have reliably tested negative for HIV. Period. End of story. Really.

If you have troubling symptoms, you need to discuss them with your doctor. This is absolutely not an HIV situation and no further testing is needed. No matter what your fears tell you to the contrary.

Andy Velez

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »
Hi Andy,

I took a regular blood test today and my WBC is 3.3L and Neutrophils s 1.6L. I have been having similiar low levels since last time I had my blood work around last week Jan'09. Is this low WBC related to infection. I am slightly concerned eventhough my 87th day Rapid test was -ve as I posted earlier.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 07:38:27 pm »
Move on.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 09:28:35 pm »
Hi Andy/Rod,

See the following link from medhelp.org

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Family-Medicine/Low-WBC-and-Neutrophils/show/228107

In this link the doctor Kevin Pho, MD says

"There are many causes for a low WBC.  This includes various types of leukemias, viruses, HIV, acute infection, amongst others."

Can you please tell me if this info is right. As well i remember taking some antibiotic during the last week of Jan'09. Will the effect of the antibiotic on WBC be there for 5 months?

Please advise. I thought medhelp.org provides reliable info and please let me know about the comment of the doctor in the above link.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 09:33:16 pm »
You don't have HIV and have the tests to prove it. If you can't move on seek professional mental help.

Offline niceguylogin

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 09:38:21 pm »
Why did i get this warning. I am just asking about what a doctor (Kevin Pho, MD ) has said in medhelp.org. I have consulted the doctor as well. And the doctor says there  is nothing wrong in me. She was a general physician.

So my only concern was about the HIV rapid test taken at 87 th day and the low WBC 3.3L and netrophils 1.6L. Is the medhelp doctor wrong about saying "HIV infection could be one of the reasons for low WBC"?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 09:42:22 pm »
You don't have HIV, you have been tested and your test was negative. MOVE ON. Your WBC test results have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 04:13:56 am »
Nice,

For the last time, you do NOT have hiv. As Rodney says, a low WBC has NOTHING to do with hiv. I've been hiv positive for twelve years, no meds, and yet my WBC and neutrophils always come back in normal ranges. If you're worried about your WBC, talk to your doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv!

I'm giving you that time out you've been repeatedly warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.