Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:03:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 599
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 6 years ago today...  (Read 4254 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
6 years ago today...
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:32:08 pm »
..On the 5th of April 2002 my beautiful Border Collie girl Annie was born, that's her on the left with our handsome boy Rocky.

It is also the day I woke up in Hospital with my Doc standing over me saying "I'm sorry Jan but the results have come back positive"

It has been an amazing 6 years, the first year, well, not so good, I had to retire early from a job I loved because of ill health..but every year after that it just got better and better.

2003 I joined the forums and came a across a wonderful support group, I have been to places I never thought I would visit, this year marks my 4th AMG, I have met some incredible people along the way and have made many friends through the PM's, e-mails and phone calls, was matron of honor at Ric and Thoms wedding in Montreal (a day I will never forget)...met the most wonderful man in Toronto..it was love at first sight, although he would never admit it for fear his partner (who by the way is a very handsome man) would find out.. ;)

In 2005 I moved to NZ, bought a hobby farm, something I had always wanted to do, joined the board of 'Positive Women", was given the chance to represent a young nurse during an unlawful disclosure/discrimination case, with great results, will be attending my first IAC this year, and was proud to be apart of a nation wide De-stigmatisation Campaign.

This year I have 6 speaking engagements to attend, I have been invited to be quest speaker at the 'International Nurses Day" here in Dunedin, I have also been asked to speak at the Candlelight Memorial on the 18th of May...and the list goes on.

Along with all this my babies and my grandchildren keep me busy...and I'm loving every moment of it..

Sorry for such a long post but I just wanted you all to know..if you want something bad enough and are willing to committ to yourself to what you believe in..it can be done, it's not always easy, believe me there are days when I just want to stay in bed..but the rewards are worth it.

love and hugs to you all
Jan :-* :-* :-*

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: 6 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:39:29 pm »
  Thanks  for sharing that Jan.... I can use a inspiring story today.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 06:30:21 pm »
I'd like to echo jg in saying this is just what I needed to read today, Dame Jan.  And further, I consider it an absolute honor to know you and have been able to meet you face to face.

I think I can confidently speak for the body of this site in saying that we simply can't imagine what these forums would be like without you here.

You, Dame Jan, are a diamond.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:01:03 pm »
Thank you for sharing Jan.

All of your babies are very lucky to have such a wonderful mama!

You shertainly are shpeshial  ;D
wuv,
Shawwky

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 09:10:37 pm »
That was a splendid read.
shine on, lady.
and kiss that girl Annie for me.

Mike

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:40:06 pm »
I first met ANNIEBC back in early 2004 when I joined AIDMEDs.  I was real curious who he/she was because we always seemed to be following each other in other people's threads. I was intrigued because her icon was a picture of a dog and being a lover of dogs I knew this was someone who just had to be nice.  One day she sent me a PM to tell me her real name was Jan and ANNIEBC was the border collie in her picture. 

Jan, you've been a true friend ever since and we here at AIDSMEDS are truly honored to have you among our midst.  You do so much for others, here and at home, and we thank you for it.

robert

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:45:02 pm »
Jan, your post was exactly what i needed to read.  Your courage, your determination, and your beautiful spirit have mentored me through some trying times.  You are very precious to me.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:51:31 pm »
Beautiful story, Dame Jan, just like the author.  You are truly an inspiration to me as another HIV+ woman.  Thank you for being part of our lives. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 08:28:50 am »
Long may you wave, Jan!

Big cheers and hugs,
Andy Velez

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 08:48:45 am »
True grit in it's purest form.

Love,
Hal

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
Jan~

I wanted to thank you for all that you do.  You are an amazing person.

From one dog lover to another!

~ Cindy (and Cheech  ;D )
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 05:23:26 pm »
Thank you so much for your kinds words..but the truth is my inspiration came for so many of you guys here..all the LTS who taught me so much and who have been through so much more than I have, to all those who have fought their addictions and came here to tell their stories and have given their time to help and support those who are still struggling.

You are my inspitaion, you are the ones who helped me, you have all played a part in keeping my head above water and there isn't a day goes by that I don't thank you for it.

Love and hugs to you all
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 05:27:43 pm »
Your posts are always written with a smile and it shows - you are a wonderful lady - and you always bring a smile into our day

XXXXXX
Scuddles
(Still in Melbourne)
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:39:13 pm »
Jan:

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you.  I remember your earliest posts in these forums, almost verbatim.

I've watched and learned from you, even though our length of diagnosis is decades apart.

You aren't just a friend to me, you are also a role model.

I'm lousy at expressing my inner most feelings, especially in such a public forum.

So I'll just leave it at this:

You lady, had me at hello.

I love you, wish you the best, and will for the rest of my life cherish the friendship you have so generously given to me.

RAB

Offline Cliff

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 10:08:04 am »
if you want something bad enough and are willing to committ to yourself to what you believe in..it can be done, it's not always easy, believe me there are days when I just want to stay in bed..but the rewards are worth it.
Indeed.

Thank you for sharing and keeping us (well me in particular), grounded.

Love you!

Cliff

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 10:30:42 am »
amazing a lpaca lady, you are   :-* - kate

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.