Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:12:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: have you heard from........  (Read 6910 times)

Offline bobik

• My worksite
have you heard from........
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:27:50 am »
........jon, aka poz82? I haven't seen him on for a long time, has anyone heard how he is doing on his new meds? Jon, are you reading here?

Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline pos.82

• "curiosity is the spice of life"
Re: have you heard from pos.82 (jon)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:55:56 am »
Hi Coen!
A big hug to you and another round of beer!

Sweetie, I was so pissed with the going-on’s here, and with the disrupters, then with the mods failure to keep the asshole from more detraction and abuse, and finally with the “new” guidelines, that I did not ever expect to come back here. I am stubborn that way. I mean why should I put myself through such drama when life is damn dramatic all by itself? And with HIV/AIDS who fuckin’ needs it.

I really have missed some of those here who have opened their minds and heart for all of us to share with, and especially those that have tuned a sympathetic and well-wishing ear to my struggles. I hope you know how much I appreciate/ed your thoughts, prayers and incantations on my behalf. And to this day owe an open heart and guest bed if ever you are in my area. You know who you are.

You know my struggles with the meds… the rejection, damage to the already frail nervous system, the anemia, loss of soul, and the entire two classes of drugs that my body simply out-and-out rejects, and the fear and thoughts of death that haunted all of 2005 and early 2006. What a fuckin` ride huh?

All is, however, not lost, nor am I. Although I still go though periods where 10-16 hours of sleep a day is not uncommon, the graph of recovery is swinging slowly into the livable category. Can I hear an Amen, the Durga call, a Hallelujah, the beating of tribal drums and a down and dirty !right-on!?!

It has been tough going, especially for the first 3 months after being put back on meds. The bitch of loosing nearly all sexual function seemed to get worse through those months, but alas, the rising of pride has slowly returned over the last few weeks and along with it some energy to live and dare I say it … to love as well.

I have hooked up with an ASO in my area and am meeting new and good folk that know the ropes and can share a joke or two. I am also getting involved with the GLBT local chapter here, and am pushing to see the center open more. My ‘volunteer’ status is still undecided, but as my strength comes back so will the push forward for equality and community come with it. I have met some great people here who keep me in stitches; Laughter what a damn goddess-send!

As to the meds. I am now on Epzicom & Fuzeon, (basically the only ones left that will work for me). But work they have WITHOUT the horrid reactions that I have had with the others. I get the welts and sore spots with the injections, but they are nothing I cannot handle. I have been very strict with the time schedule, every 12 hours, and then Insurance changes left me without Fuzeon for 2 days…. fuck those damn bean counters and the bureaucratic crap. Then I messed up once after this and was 4 hours late on one injection. Damn, I never thought I could run so fast up those stairs to start mixing the dose. LOL.

In the first month my t-cells doubled from 140 to 278. I had a 3.5% log decrease in viral load to 2300. By the 3rd or fourth month I had a VL of 54... woowhoo .. Nearly undetectable. I just had blood work done and will get results soon to see if the two-days off, or my lateness caused any complications. No matter what I am doing well.

Tonight, I actually went to a local gay bar, which is probably why I am writing -- four Heineken's and counting... hehe. It has been 20 or more years since I have been to that local bar. The people have changed a bit since then. Besides the drunks, there was an openness and freedom that I have not experienced in a while, at least post Regan-devil-presidency!  Eeerrrgg!

My love-life is getting complicated with a 20+ year relationship with a beautiful soul, and needs on the other side of the fence that still need addressed. I have been on a couple other dates with my partner’s full consent, and dammed if our sex life and love for each other didn’t up itself a notch or two. Funny this life in this body!

I guess I have been off the forums too long, but please know I have not been out of touch with life. I really have no idea how much I will participate here in the future. I guess that depends on a lot of things. I promise though. That I will at least check my PM’s weekly from now on and not to let those that I love slip out of my world again. Coen (and the rest), I love you, and wish you all the best of joy and fulfillment. Life goes on … so, damnit, will we cherish it.

Peace to you,
jon
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 05:10:15 pm by pos.82 »

Offline kcmetroman

Re: have you heard from........
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 08:50:17 am »
Hi Jon,

Like Coen, I have missed your candor here.  I know that you were pissed by the recent attacks.  I am glad to see that things are turning around for you.  Like you, I have found much of my recent solace in face to face interaction.  I pray that things continue to go well with you.

John

Offline pos.82

Re: have you heard from pos.82 (jon)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:09:10 pm »
John Thanks for that. It is always good to know when the "solace in face to face interaction" is being treasured and remembered.
I can't help but quote you from your recent message to Jerry.

• I think that many people here put too much emphasis on this site (once upon a time myself included).  ...  I think that We all need to keep things in perspective.  We all agree that change is inevitable, and in the perfect world, the changes in our lives for the better would mean less involvement here, and more involvement in our own existence.  There is only so much pleasure that you can gain in reading a post.

It is good to remember this and keep a balance. Countless hours here will detract from personal involvement with our own real-life communities. For those that can, and I realize many are incapable this, to be active in there own communities; there is nothing more far-reaching and tangible. This on-line community and those that we connect with here is awesome in its own right, but limited.

Be well always,
jon

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 05:20:24 pm »
Jon, its good to see things are going well for you! I hope they continue to do so.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:29:09 pm »
I am so glad to see you back, Jon. You know how much you moved me when you wrote how hard things are. And now I am reading a post full of humor, fighting spirit, curiosity of life, and it really makes me happy. I am not here daily, but some people here make a big impression on me, and you do.

I like beer too, although on the pic I am drinking Tropical, a spanish beerbrand. It is a nice idea that you drink dutch beer. My next Heineken I will think of you.

Big Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 06:53:30 pm »
Hello Jon,

Happy to see you posting ! I am glad Coen had asked about you... I have been thinking about ya.

Like you,... hanging tough.....Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline richfinsm

• Be better to one another
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 06:57:48 pm »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 09:23:31 am by richfinsm »
Positive since 1/85.  Tested positive with full-blown AIDS 5/93.

Offline pos.82

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 11:24:58 pm »
Jonathan, I hope so too, and back at ya`, Thanks.

Coen, I will have to try that one; never actually heard of it. My favorite beers depending on my mood and meal accompanying the brew are... of course Heineken, but also, Bohemia, Negra Modelo Especial, Corona Especial on the beach, with an Italian Peroni being just about my all-time favorite.

What really sucked big time was about 4 months ago, when a particular pain medication made all my beer taste like piss, and any meat taste rancid. While I know some can get into that, it's not what I consider quenching to the palate. But I have been known to..... well, you know.
Hugs to you Coen... always.

Ray, thanks, hang in their buddy, and smile and laugh as much as humanly possible!

Rich, I miss our talks too; that sexy voice that comes from the heart, what a joy.

Hugs to you all, I will post when I can,
jon

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 10:10:13 am »
Love to have a beer with you sometime Jon.

Offline pos.82

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 07:35:37 pm »
Hey John,
If ever you are in the Los Angeles area, let me know; would love to share a couple of beers with you. I still trying to plan a trip across country, just need to save a bit more cash though. I will let you know and maybe I can meet up with the both of you then.

As always, be well & cheers,
jon

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 08:00:31 am »
Jon, good to see you back.  I was thinking about you recently and had not seen you around.
Glad things seem to be going better for you.

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 10:07:41 am »
Jon,

I don't get to LA as much as I used to, but you are always welcome here when the itch to go becomes too big to scratch! ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:14:05 am by kcmetroman »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.