Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:50:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 635
Total: 637

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Busted Computer .  (Read 17319 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Busted Computer .
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:46 am »
Usually Apple Care won't fix things for free because of an accident.

I have found over many many years that this is highly variable however. It might depend on the mood of the person at the genius bar, or the culture of the particular Apple Store you go to, or the age of the machine. So it never hurts to ask.

Also, they have never tried to rip me off unnecessarily - wereas independent apple sellers - that is their stock and trade.  For example I put a big ding in a laptop once, but Apple Care went on fixing other things and just ignored the ding.  The apple shop never said stupidities like his problem was obviously related to a bump or drop a year ago... Independent shops will do that, or they will try to sell you an unnecessary repair and say its not covered by Apple Care. Or charge for an estimate.

When possible, always go to an Apple Store.

Once they took in a computer for something and returned it an a spanking new enclosure, gratis.  Also I get a special 3 year Apple care and I find that the 2 to 3 year IS the year I use the care...

A lot of these thinks have planned obsolescence, sad to say. 

But one time I had dust in my HD screen on an older mac and they gave me a new screen, no questions asked. Also have had new motherboards....

If you aren't planning on having it longer than a year, to resell for some new model - then you don't need the apple care warranty (not cheap) but I get 3 years out of my laptops as main machines and then try to get another or two as the "extra machine".  I the long run, I got my money's worth on apple care.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:08:25 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 12:29:14 pm »

More shockingly there's even one now in Mississippi. However, there isn't one in West Virginia.

My family whom all live around the Charleston area drive up to Columbus, OH since they all prefer to use Apple products.  OH, and they built an awesome new highway that bypasses all the little towns and is a non-stop, straight stretch of road.  Less than a 2 hour drive now which basically qualifies as a suburb.  :)  There are parts down there where you drive 2 hours just to buy a box of wine.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:17 pm »
To be TOTALLY safe I recommend you cover your Macbook Air!!!...

The best is a hard cover from Speck call the Smartshell...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HC985ZM/B/speck-11-smartshell-case-for-macbook-air

Also there is the Acme sleeve...

http://www.acmemade.com/laptop-cases/the-skinny-sleeve-macbook

Neither are cheap - but your in the big league now...

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:26 am »
Sorry to resurrect this thread.  Was just curious about the specs of the machine you picked up?  CPU, Drive type: SSD, HDD, etc. 

Congrats on the slick machine :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2014, 10:53:27 am »
Sorry to resurrect this thread.  Was just curious about the specs of the machine you picked up?  CPU, Drive type: SSD, HDD, etc. 

Congrats on the slick machine :)

Its silver with black keys you push to make letters and numbers and stuff . That's all I know  ;) :) . When I open it there is an apple that lights up on the lid and it makes me giggle and clap my hands .

It was the standard issue macbook air ... the latest version .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2014, 11:08:05 am »
When I open it there is an apple that lights up on the lid and it makes me giggle and clap my hands .
lol, that's about how I get with new hardware, lol

can't wait to get a new mobile phone, sigh

It was the standard issue macbook air ... the latest version .

Ah, cool :)

How is it so far?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:14:39 am by tryingtostay »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2014, 11:18:34 am »
I find the macair to be fast and easy to use . I had no problem out of the box and was using it as easily as I have my other PC in the past .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:57 am »
Awesome, enjoy!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.