Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:59:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 146
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Possible switching from Atripila to Complera after 5 years-issues?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Dutch1

Hello Everyone,

I have been talking with my doctor lately and the subject of erectile dysfunction came up and how I have notice that since being on meds, it seems to be a pretty regular event.

The Dr. suspects the efavirenz component of Atripila.  Has anybody else had the same thing?  My libido is fine, it is sometimes in really high gear.  Undetectable as well with a CD4 count of 814.

The other concern is that I have issues with mild depression.  I haven't felt that I needed to take anything for that.  One of the listed side effects of Complera is depression and suicidal thought. Again, has anybody had experience with that?

Thanks for your help and info.

Offline wylidas

• Trying to love this life, since it's all we got.
Re: Possible switching from Atripila to Complera after 5 years-issues?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:44:08 pm »
Hey Dutch- I just started Complera today, and I am prone to anxiety and depression issues since coming off Ativan cold turkey last fall (a whole separate issue.) But I wanted to chime in because I have been looking into these side effects too.

Having just started it, I can only tell you that so far I feel some mild anxiety which can happen with any new med until adjusted, but I read a thread on here a few days ago where several of the people taking Complera for months said that there were some depressive episodes right in the beginning (in the first few weeks) but every one of them also said by Month 2 all of it went away. So if that's any indication it might be worth trying, if your doctor is behind it. Having taken Atriple before back in 2006, I remember having the stoned feeling and the crazy dreams, and I can tell you so far, Complera has not made me feel stoned or anything unlike myself. Tonight will be the dream test. :)  I can keep you posted on how my first weeks go, if you like.

-Wylidas
Diagnosed + in 2006.
Atripla in 2006 (Bad dreams, nervous system reaction after a few weeks. Discontinued.)
Epzicom/Reyataz/Norvir October 2007 - February 2012 (anxiety and elevated BP primary s/x)
UD VL <30
CD4 - fluctuates between 250 - 500 with 25%+
Discontinued meds in February 2012 (due to adherence issues after detoxing from Ativan)
March 2012 - CD4 296, VL 120
4/22/2012 - Started Complera
5/1/2012 - Discontinued Complera, began monitored drug holiday
7/3/2012 - VL 55,000; CD4 211 - started Bactrim
8/5/2012 - Began Truvada + Isentress

Offline elements

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:39:36 pm »
I been in Atripla for 1.5 yr and I have no side effects, just some cool dreams once in a while.  Sometimes I have taken it with food and my viral loads is always UD.  I have gain weight this past year but I'm not sure if that is because of the Atripla or because I have not gone to the gym in a year and I just watch tv a lot on my coach, lol.  I have notice my labido is down, but that was already happing to me before I started taking Atripla.  My doctor check my Testorones level and I'm below the normal for a guy, so its a concern but since I'm not sexually active, I have not done anything about it.  I hope this helps a little bit.

Offline HnyMustard

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:51 pm »

The other concern is that I have issues with mild depression.  I haven't felt that I needed to take anything for that.  One of the listed side effects of Complera is depression and suicidal thought. Again, has anybody had experience with that?

Those same side effects are listed for Atripla as well. While I can't say that I've taken Complera, I am considering quitting Atripla to avoid efavirenz. I have been undergoing these types of side effects, but it's hard for me to say it's the drug. It could also be situational, as HIV sucks.

I think if you have depressive tendencies, it could cause those tendencies to be aggravated.

Offline wylidas

• Trying to love this life, since it's all we got.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:13:04 pm »
HnyMustard- I am on Day 5 of Complera. The hardest thing for me to get adjusted to is the fatigue. It has gotten progressively worse over the last few days, and today I could barely get out of bed. But, I think it's listed as a common side effect and therefore will likely go away with time.

I can honestly say the anxiety and dreams aren't an issue with Complera, at least not for me. I feel more like myself than I have felt in ages. It might be worth a shot.
Diagnosed + in 2006.
Atripla in 2006 (Bad dreams, nervous system reaction after a few weeks. Discontinued.)
Epzicom/Reyataz/Norvir October 2007 - February 2012 (anxiety and elevated BP primary s/x)
UD VL <30
CD4 - fluctuates between 250 - 500 with 25%+
Discontinued meds in February 2012 (due to adherence issues after detoxing from Ativan)
March 2012 - CD4 296, VL 120
4/22/2012 - Started Complera
5/1/2012 - Discontinued Complera, began monitored drug holiday
7/3/2012 - VL 55,000; CD4 211 - started Bactrim
8/5/2012 - Began Truvada + Isentress

Offline coreFighter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »
Hey Wylidas,

You're the closest to someone I've found, dealing with the same issues I am. I just started Complera, switching from Truvada and Isentress. About two months ago, I started to develop heart palpitations and a skipped beat, at first everyone including myself thought they were panic attacks caused by my anxiety. Now I'm starting to think the Isentress was causing the heart issues, which in turn caused me to freak the beep out.

I'm wondering how you can tell the difference btwn any of this and how the drugs have magnified your anxiety. Hope this thread isn't to old for a reply.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »
Hi, I can relate to your issues! I took Atripla for 2 years and started having some sleep problems, so my doc tried me on Complera on a trial basis, but I didn't like having to change my whole med routine, and I didn't like having to calorie count on Complera. Plus, after about a week on it, my anxiety went through the roof! I got major anxiety attacks to the point of being debilitating. So I decided to stick with the devil I knew, and now I am back on Atripla. I have noticed a slight decrease in interest in sex in the past couple years, but no erectile problems. I did notice while on Complera that I had severe fatigue and my insomnia actually got worse! So I stopped taking it after a week or so. My doc wants me to try Zoloft, but I am not sure that is the right one for me after researching it, because of all the awful sexual side effects from it. Plus I have heard it can cause insomnia too. I am still hoping to find a less-scary anti-depressant for me.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.