Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:41:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 596
Total: 596

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Democrats Didn't Win!  (Read 1938 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
The Democrats Didn't Win!
« on: November 08, 2006, 09:26:37 pm »
So much as the Republicans lost. 

They've had their chance for 6 years, an unparalleled opportunity to take this country to greater heights of possibilities, boy did they screw it up! 

(With apologies to Oh501 who is tired of the political discussion.)

Don't misunderstand me, no one could be more pleased with the outcome of yesterday's results.  I am relieved that perhaps at long last, after 6 years of one party rule, this country seems to be poised to return to the idea of 3 equal branches of government.  For the last 6 years, we have seen what disastrous consequences can happen when one party is in complete control.

I have no grand illusions however.

The struggle to meet the costs of adequately funding Ryan White will not go away with the Democratic majorities in both chambers.  (And let's not forget that HIV is one of the few medical conditions that has a significant secondary safety net, imagine the struggles of other citizens who suffer from things such as life threatening kidney disease, cancer, Alzheimer's, you name it.) 

The war in Iraq is not going to reach a simple and easy conclusion in the next year or two.  It is a mess.  How we get ourselves out of it is something that neither party seems to have an answer for.

Just as many of us have called the broadly worded proclamations of those on the right as nothing more than heated rhetoric.  I think we have to be careful to not assume that the halcyon days of our imagined futures lay upon the horizon of a newly elected Democratic majority.

At best three things have been achieved:

A.  The Democrats have a chance to have their voices heard without the distortion of right wing driven talking heads.

B.  The voices and concerns of middle class America, the needs and struggles of  marginalized sub-sets of the population, the values that are truly important (as opposed to those of the far right evangelicals) will at least have a place at the table. 

C.  We have an opportunity, albeit difficult, to re-examine our priorities as a country, to reject the divisive politics of Karl Rove and his power driven agenda, and reclaim the voice of commonality that provides for lifting everyone up, because that is truly how we achieve continued greatness.

I'm feeling a lot of post orgasmic after-glow I will admit.  I just hope that the enthusiasm and power that American voters displayed yesterday isn't replaced with disappointment when and if unrealistic goals are not  achieved.

RAB

(Who is always cautious, many times to a fault.)

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
Re: The Democrats Didn't Win!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:32:35 pm »
I'll second that!
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:50:58 pm »
Actually that was my reply to Oh501's post, but what I feel is now the Dems have to work because 2008 is coming up.  I also think this is part of the pr spin of the republican party- "Gee if we just bullshitted better"
I don't think 2 years is even going to begin to clean up the mess this admin has made- it sure isn't going to grow legs and arms on those lost in Iraq. But at least the madness might stop.
Already they are looking into tax loop holes for oil companies. Now is also the time to make organized religion pay taxes for it's hateful divisiveness! Time to tell Hillary that " Don't ask, don't tell- don't work! While it might be a stretch people are now facing the reality in the bible belt , that some of their own men need some man loving!

Christ announced: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." --Matthew 10:34.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:58:25 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 10:53:56 am »
RAB -  You are entirely correct in your assessment and are not being too cautious.  I’ve watched this win and think of it as a mixed blessing b/c the Democrats still don’t really get it and will continue run lack luster campaigns.  It’s been a year where (paraphrasing Jake) anyone w/ a heartbeat could have won against them.  God we need to make some headway before 2008 in order to hold our gains and/or take the Executive branch.

On a side of bonuses (not mentioned above), any ultra-conservative appointment to the court will have a tough time of getting approved by the legislature.  Unfortunately the damage has been done in the last 6 years, but at least we have a little insurance in case one of them falls. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.