Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:29:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 666
Total: 667

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POSTING A PIC....GOOD IDEA OR BAD??  (Read 3621 times)

Offline mrtallguy

POSTING A PIC....GOOD IDEA OR BAD??
« on: January 21, 2007, 10:50:21 am »
I JUST POSTED A PIC ON THE FORUM HERE AND  NOW I AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS.   MOST OF THE MEMBERS HERE HAVE GRADUATED FROM THE "SCHOOL OF ANGELS" BUT THAT DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ALL THE "GUESTS" LOOKING FROM AFAR.   I AM SELF-EMPLOYED SO I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT LOSING MY JOB, BUT WANTED TO TO KNOW OF EXPERIENCES...BOTH GOOD AND BAD... THAT HAVE HAPPENED TO MY FELLOW FORUM FRIENDS WHO HAVE POSTED THEIR PIC.  YOUR THOUGHTS?

BE WELL...

CRAIG
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: POSTING A PIC....GOOD IDEA OR BAD??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:16:34 am »
Craig, you look Marvelous....   I think the onlookers would say the same... ;)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 11:22:59 am »
My picture posting started because I created a web page about my experience with lipoatrophy and PMMA treatment. I really wasn't sure whether creating the page and posting a link on here was a good idea, especially since it included butt shots. Creating the page led to an interview about lipo with The Body, a HIV site, which also posted my photo. So now that my face, and butt, are out there and associated with not only HIV but lipoatrophy posting a regular picture on here seems relatively harmless. This may all come back to bite me in the ass but I've received lots of emails from people around the world thanking me for posting my web page.

I actually had a bit of a panic moment over this last month. I was at an office party and someone brought up Googling people's names. If you Google my name The Body interview, which tells basically my HIV story, is the first thing on the list. Fortunately my name didn't get Googled but I was worried that I was about to announce to all my coworkers that I was HIV+ and suffering from lipo. Talk about bringing the party to a crashing halt. If it comes out I'll just deal with it but I'd rather not share my medical history with my coworkers.

I'm using the gymrat avatar just because I think it's cool.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:29:36 am »
Hi Craig....  well you probably know my take on this since we live in the same city.  I post my status along side my pic all the time all over the place.  Anyone I work with, or any of my clients with enough interest could easily find out that I am HIV positive, gay, or several other things that might cause no end to their consternation.    (in fact, it makes me deeply happy to think of some of my bible thumpin clients paying me as much as they do to keep their businesses running when they also think I am probably going straight to hell.   Oh yes, deeply happy.)   At any rate, anonymity is safe.  Safe is fine, but you don't learn anything that way.

Besides, you're handsome as hell.  Show it off my friend.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:36:16 am »
I've posted a few - but ususally remove them after the thread is dead.  Just paranoia, no real reason I suppose.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 11:50:38 am »
THANKS GUYS!!  

As usual the support on this site has been a big part of a transformation for me as I start 2007.

ERIC....We are both riding horses...my original pic gobbled up too much memory and would not post so I had to shrink it down....also did not think posting my nephew's face would be a good idea either! By the way... a rocky mountain "cowboy" always gets my attention...WOOF back atcha!

FORD....the rat is a classic!  Any time I need to see ur fine lines I click on your postings until I find ur pics! :)

PUCK....Great words of wisdom (as expected) in that "nuthin ventured, nuthin gained".  We don't expand on our life experience by shrinking away from it!   And thanks for the compliment....could we say "birds of a feather flock together"??  another way to say that would be "Your tats ROCK" !!

Be well...

Craig
--ACIM

Offline koi1

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:02:17 pm »
I think I would be fine about posting a pic, were it not for the fact that I am an elementary school teacher and it would not be wise.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 12:04:56 pm »
Craig, when you get more comfotable, get a "picture squisher"  I just use microsoft picture manager.   Love them horses, they are fiesty and unpredictable just like my AM friends..  Perfect fit..   Sorta fun walking on the wildside aint it??  Figure I am at least putting myself out there is some way as far as being pos...  If someone where to just point blank ask me, erm, ah, "well yeah".   Might come out..  Not sure..

Love,

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 12:11:21 pm »
I don't like posting identifiable stuff on the internet, no offense to anyone here.  I had a link in my profile for a while to my personal web site which consists of travel photos, and there were several of me in amongst those but I've since taken the link down.  I do this for several reason, none of which is connected with being identified with HIV as everyone that knows me in meat life ("real life" for the cyber n00bs here) knows my medical condition.  When I first got on the internet in the mid-90's I posted something somewhere and once search engines like google came on line (yes, I was on line before Google) I'd google my name and didn't like finding myself, so I've always implemented a cloaking device like the Klingons.  I was also cyber stalked my an insane homosexual in the 90's and that wasn't very pleasant either.  I feared for my life...

ps:  when you type Klingons and use spell check on a Mac it tries to replace the word with "Clintons"!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 12:20:05 pm »
Philly, I can see why.... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 12:22:39 pm »
omg... it's a right wing conspiracy

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 12:52:13 pm »
I tried to see if I could google me....  Nothing but this guy! Jeeeezzzz....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:29:46 pm »
A cowboy with a sense of humor....even better!

I googled my name and I'm lucky that there is an actor with the same name so he gets all the attention!
However I did google my screen name and that brings up all my postings here!
So now I will NOT co-mingle my screen name and full real name....will stick to first name only.

Be Well...

Craig
--ACIM

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 01:39:25 pm »
A decade ago there was only me when I google my name, as my last name is rather odd and others with it are rather small.  However, by being careful these days I can't locate myself and I find a few others with my name, as more people are on line now.

Whew!  I don't like knowing that I'm that accessible.  I'm even careful in dispensing my cell phone number and email.  I should join the CIA.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 05:38:34 pm »
I work in a rather large orlando company, anywhere from 1200 to 1800 people during the year. 

Since posting my picture and blog, I've had someone come up to me at work who was dealing with her own STD and I've had one of my closer friends from Pennsylvania email me because she found my blog.

I knew both were potential risks and I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of people, other than strangers, knowing information about me, but I haven't had anything negative either because of either experience.

I took my picture down from the forums recently, but not because of that.  I just don't have a newer picture I like better.

The net is a small world after all.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.