Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:39:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 348
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV+, EMT and Police refuse to assist in 911 call Lynbrook, NY.  (Read 12353 times)

Offline dc2nice

• God is good; all the time.
HIV+, EMT and Police refuse to assist in 911 call Lynbrook, NY.
« on: December 25, 2010, 12:54:07 pm »
 >:( On 12-22-10 approx. 5a. I woke up dizzy along with abdominal discomfort. Called 911. I managed to crawl dwnstairs 2 knock on my neighbors door 4 help n open front door 4 police (2 fam house). EMT says "u got me out here at 5a for a stomach ache". As I lay in front door with underwear n teeshirt. I could hear them asking ? but felt like I was going 2 pass out. EMT put oxygen mask on. While police asking what was wrong? After telling them. I also stated that I was HIV+. She (EMT) says "I wish u would have told me that b4 I touched u". So now there putting on double gloves. One officer went up to get my pants and slippers. Dropped them in front of me and said "put them on". I told them I could not move. They would not even put my feet in 2 pants legs. As there yelling at me "yes u can, and we r not leaving until u do". I am freezing with the door wide open. There is just a brief discription. My main concern is 2 have this dealt with. I hate 2 think what would have happened if I was bleeding or vomiting. Someone please help me? I want this to b known. If I have to risk going on the news . This can't go on.  What angencies can help me? I have been a nurse 4 20 years and HIV+ longer. I did not come this far to be treated like this.  
I feel so alone.

God bless and Merry Xmas to all !
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:13:29 pm by dc2nice »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: HIV+, EMT and Police refuse to assist in 911 call Lynbrook, NY.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:35:50 pm »
First of all Merry Christmas and welcome to the forums.

I'm an retired Nurse living with HIV and I volunteer as an Ambulance Officer in NZ, the way you were treated was bloody disgusting, the first thing you have to do is complain to the EMT communications they will know what Ambulance was sent out to you and the crew who attended you...or they should know, you can't let them get away with this, it's discrimination and it's against the law, at least it is here in NZ.

Regardless of your status you should have been treated with respect and dignity, myself and my crew have been called out to a couple of HIV patients in the past and have treated them no different to any other patient we have had to deal with, do something about this don't leave it too late.

They should be fired in my opinion, stigma in the medical field is appalling and has got to be stopped, I'm so sorry you were treated this way.

Take care
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 07:30:28 pm »
Welcome to the Forums...  For a couple of years, I served on the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS as the press contact and have built relationships with editors, new directors in a 5 county region.  Currently serving as PR/Advertising agent for a San Francisco law firm.  For legal advice www.findlaw.com is an excellent choice, most attorneys offer a free consultation. 

If you decide not to take any legal action, the public still has a right to know.  Call the papers, radio stations and TV that serves your area to get the editors names and fax numbers to send a press release stating the facts and your phone number.  If assigned to a reporter, he/she will be calling you, the EMT and the police officer so keep your facts very accurate, they will be verified   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »

They should be fired in my opinion, stigma in the medical field is appalling and has got to be stopped, I'm so sorry you were treated this way.

Take care
Jan

I agree with Jan.  And, There should be an investigation, as to the training of these so- called professionals.

Ray
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:03:53 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:04:55 am »
These people need to be reported.  In fact, they should be fired.  I don't think there is any excuse for this and no sensitivity training that would help those people.  These kinds of things are what cause people to hide their status to medical professionals, which can be dangerous.

Offline peteb

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »
those people need to be reported its just makes me SICK
here for you in needed
Pete

Offline dc2nice

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »
I am so touched by all the responses. I have gone forward with this. I am in touch with newspapaers, tv news, councilmen, act up and the NAACP. This is so upsetting everytime I think about what happened. U r right. This is just why people don't say anything. They have just made things worse for themselves. I will keep u up to date.  Thanx again.  ;)

dc2nice
not alone anymore!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:42:41 pm by dc2nice »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 04:08:10 pm »
Good for you dc...we have to stand up to people like that and get rid of the Stigma once and for all, with the right peole behind you, you can make a difference.

Aroha
Jan

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »
I am glad to hear you are going forward with this. No human should be treated in such a manner.  They preached about universal precautions.  Please let us know the outcome.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:44:55 pm »

Good For you,...Go get em !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fearless

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »
that's absolutely appalling treatment. I'm glad you have taken up the fight.
i was admitted to hospital last night and have had nothing but exemplary treatment. you/we should expect/demand nothing less.
merry Christmas, ho ho ho, and all that go.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:58:42 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 08:37:40 pm »
Good for you for spreading the word and taking steps to getting something done about this absolutely horrid violation of your dignity and rights! Just one random question on my part. Why are you contacting the NAACP? Isn't that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People? How would they be of help in an HIV/AIDS discrimination case? Just curious...

Best of luck getting this resolved and kicking some serious butt!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline franfrog

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:35 am »
Glad to see you are going forward with this.  How they treated you is uncalled for.  Can't wait to hear how this turns out!
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline dc2nice

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 11:56:45 pm »
Odyssey,
      u r right about the NAACP.  I am a 53 y o blk gay male. In a town that is 95% white.  I have 3 strikes against me. Black, gay and HIV+.  I hope this answers ur ? 

Offline dc2nice

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 11:58:51 pm »
Good for you for spreading the word and taking steps to getting something done about this absolutely horrid violation of your dignity and rights! Just one random question on my part. Why are you contacting the NAACP? Isn't that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People? How would they be of help in an HIV/AIDS discrimination case? Just curious...

Best of luck getting this resolved and kicking some serious butt!

odyssey

Offline BJS2011

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:07 pm »
>:( On 12-22-10 approx. 5a. I woke up dizzy along with abdominal discomfort. Called 911. I managed to crawl dwnstairs 2 knock on my neighbors door 4 help n open front door 4 police (2 fam house). EMT says "u got me out here at 5a for a stomach ache". As I lay in front door with underwear n teeshirt. I could hear them asking ? but felt like I was going 2 pass out. EMT put oxygen mask on. While police asking what was wrong? After telling them. I also stated that I was HIV+. She (EMT) says "I wish u would have told me that b4 I touched u". So now there putting on double gloves. One officer went up to get my pants and slippers. Dropped them in front of me and said "put them on". I told them I could not move. They would not even put my feet in 2 pants legs. As there yelling at me "yes u can, and we r not leaving until u do". I am freezing with the door wide open. There is just a brief discription. My main concern is 2 have this dealt with. I hate 2 think what would have happened if I was bleeding or vomiting. Someone please help me? I want this to b known. If I have to risk going on the news . This can't go on.  What angencies can help me? I have been a nurse 4 20 years and HIV+ longer. I did not come this far to be treated like this.  
I feel so alone.

That is just disgusting on there behalf. I would have been traumatized for a long time. These people should know better.They should not be working in this feild of work. Plain ignorant. I am sooo sorry this happened to you.
God bless and Merry Xmas to all !

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 01:29:35 pm »

not quite a zombie thread but still

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »
not quite a zombie thread but still

And gurl, if she feels like Jesus today and plans to bring up the dead the least she could do is learn how to use the quote function. So not very.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »
He seems to know that its an old post because he is wishing them a Merry Xmas today . My point is not so obvious even to me , meaning I'm confused . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 05:23:09 pm »
He seems to know that its an old post because he is wishing them a Merry Xmas today .

Totally weird. Maybe he thinks it's really Xmas today.

oh and then he had to pick my Shrunken Balls thread to ressurect. Thanks.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 08:07:16 pm »
oh and then he had to pick my Shrunken Balls thread to ressurect. Thanks.

You know we love you in spite of your allegedly shrunken balls. We only care about your length and girth. Have you not figured that out yet?

~awaits reports - verified reports - on said statistics ~
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:08 pm »
You know we love you in spite of your allegedly shrunken balls. We only care about your length and girth. Have you not figured that out yet?

~awaits reports - verified reports - on said statistics ~

I'll provide some pictars after Seattle.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »

If you need any help Rev, I'll hold him down while you take the pictars.. ;)

Aroha
 :-*

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »

Pictars or he is in possession of a chippolata.  
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:15 pm »

Aroha

I intend to hire a tween look-alike hustler to do the dirty work for us, Jan. You and I will be sipping on caipirinhas by the pool.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »

Aroha

I will sit on his face so he cant scream  :o
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:26 pm »
I intend to hire a tween look-alike hustler to do the dirty work for us, Jan. You and I will be sipping on caipirinhas by the pool.

Ah!..good thinking Rev, at least that way he won't put up a fight.. ;D

I will sit on his face so he cant scream  :o

Well if he did it would be for more... ;)

Aroha

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »
chippolata.  

Huh. I cant even find that on Google.

And to the rest of you- Pffffft!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:47 pm »
Chippolata = teeny weeny sausage.. ;D

Aroha

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 02:23:11 pm »
Chippolata = teeny weeny sausage.. ;D

Aroha

They do taste delicious if you find a good butcher.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:13 pm »
I think if anyone has a chance of confirming what size his junk is, it'll be me. I'm the one sharing a room with him in Seattle. So many potential opportunities await me!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline jp2011ny

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »
does anyone know what happened to dc2nice's case? I am very curious to see what the outcome was.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »
does anyone know what happened to dc2nice's case? I am very curious to see what the outcome was.

no
that's why this is a  Zombie threads (old threads that keep resurrecting because someone didn't check the date of the last post)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.