Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:37:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 443
Total: 444

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Everything becomes a remake....  (Read 22827 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Everything becomes a remake....
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 11:03:17 pm »
Nope.  Kurt Russell.  Wilfred Brimley was also in it.  And lots of blood and goo.

The film had a high "squish factor".  A most excellent clip is below....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Q-5VSqzEk

Oh, you mean the remake starring Kurt Russell.

This is the original from 1951.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

Not much blood, but lovely suspense.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:05:05 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 11:05:43 pm »
Yes, the John Carpenter remake.  It also has some great suspense.  Very claustrophobic and paranoid.

And lots of squish.

Everyone must check out my link above about how to do the Halloween remake (post 47).  I love what this guy did, um...putting the pieces of the original story together.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 11:07:28 pm »
Anyone seen "Skinwalkers"?

I understand it is about werewolves, and has nothing to do with the Hillerman novel of the same name.

Just wondering.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 11:14:24 pm »
Just saw a trailer for Skinwalkers.  Looks kind of like the Howling in some ways, but with some battle over some kid thrown in.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 11:23:01 pm »
Anyone seen "Skinwalkers"?

I understand it is about werewolves, and has nothing to do with the Hillerman novel of the same name.

Just wondering.

HUGS,

Mark

DO NOT waste time or energy on that piece of crapola....

Offline Iggy

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 11:39:33 pm »
Now this is how you do a Halloween remake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Pe_rpkafU&mode=related&search=

other parts available, but this is good for now.

Boo!

I just finished watching 4 of the parts - that is scary in how good it is - they have some of the camera angles and movie scenes down perfectly!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:21 pm »
I KNOW!  The camera work going up and down the stairs is fantastic!  That guy is now a hero of mine.

They also have a cute one of The Thing, but I like the Halloween ones the best.  There is still one part left to make, apparently.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2007, 12:54:15 am »
Awww you didn't like it? What didn't you like if you can tell w/o giving away...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Iggy

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2007, 10:23:00 am »
Well - I admit real bias in this as I lost track of how many times I've seen (and still watch ) the original.

I didn't care about a single character in this movie outside of Sherri Moon's to be honest.  I understand from an interview that Zombie wanted to make this Michael's movie vs. Laurie's movie, but the fact is that I didn't groove on the new Michael. I thought the scens when he was a kid and evil were really worth getting into, but the older huge Michael to me was just a joke.  I read someone on a horror board say it was Halloween the 13th and I think that kind of dead on.  Laurie annoyed the crap out of me in this movie too which is like a sin to me.  If Zombie wanted to redo how we see those characters and make Laurie someone you hate - I could actually dig that - but I hated her simply because she was unrecognizable to me from any other girl in a horror movie since the mid 90's - There was no character to her at all.

Outside of the mask - there was no "Halloween" to this version and it felt like zombie was doing more of a homage to modern movies than he was to Carpenter.  If Zombie really want to remake this movie he should have made it a solid prequel because I think the whole second part where it just basically repeats a lot of the stuff you already know from the original sucks ass  and just feels like a hodgepodge of scenes that were included simply so fanboys can say - "oh yeah - I remember this scene in the original". 

I guess the bottom line was that if this was a stand alone horror film I would have thought it was decent by today's standards which is not necessarily a great grade either - but this really sucks all hell as a Halloween.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2007, 02:28:07 pm »
Wow...I liked the scenes from when he was a kid and the boy who played him was excellent to me. I don't get the Michael vs Laurie thing, why would it be like that? I don't think it was a vs thing in the orignal, it was just Michael going after Laurie. My thing with all the Halloweens was why was Michael trying to wipe out his family in the first place? With the Carpenter movies, I think the last one was before Donald Pleasance died went into a Pagan thing which to me which I thought was not right. And even doing that I still didn't get it. But I do agree that horror movies are not the same like they use to be.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2007, 03:26:02 pm »
Give me the horror I grew up with:

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte  I was six and my parents let me stay up in my jammies on the floor to watch it.  I could swear I saw the red blood running down Bette Davis' dress, but when I see it now it's in B&W.

Shall I go on?

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

So, then, homosexuality is a learned behavior. lol. Gotta love your Parents!

8) -megasept

Offline Iggy

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2007, 09:29:37 pm »
Wow...I liked the scenes from when he was a kid and the boy who played him was excellent to me. I don't get the Michael vs Laurie thing, why would it be like that? I don't think it was a vs thing in the orignal, it was just Michael going after Laurie. My thing with all the Halloweens was why was Michael trying to wipe out his family in the first place? With the Carpenter movies, I think the last one was before Donald Pleasance died went into a Pagan thing which to me which I thought was not right. And even doing that I still didn't get it. But I do agree that horror movies are not the same like they use to be.....

I may have been unclear in my post - I did dig those scenes myself just thought they weren't done enough and actually my problem with the film is that zombie jumped too early in the film from that stuff to just get to the replay of scenes from the original movie.

As far as the question of Michael going after Laurie - I'll answer it based off of the original and part two - In my mind the son of a bitch was just fucking crazy and wanted to wipe out his family.  All those years in the mental institution with  nothing else to focus on made him just become stuck on the idea of "shit I missed one - gotta go clean up that little mess) 

As far as the zombie version - it was this whole thing of him trying to get back with Laurie who he loved but I thought it was b.s.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:31:35 pm by Iggy »

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Iggy

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2007, 10:41:36 pm »
bhwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   

The third one was my favorite btw

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2007, 11:00:08 pm »
OMG.  Fuck Halloween.

I need to see The Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2007, 01:10:15 am »
I hate to say it but not really into the oldies when it comes to horror films. I tried to watch some on AMC once and it really just bored me. I do like Salem's Lot but finds that I fall asleep when I watch it. I forgot all about the Omen movies, I didn't like the remake of that either. It would be interesting if they made a newer one showing that Damien took over, as in being full grown. Do you mean the Prophecy with the war among the angels? The one who has Christopher Walken in it? I just watched that last night. I just wish that when they decide to make sequels that they stick with the past storylines, ya know. The only one I have seen do that is the Saw trilogy.

Someone mentioned vampire flicks, uh, with the name I have, of course I love vampire flicks. Mark, have you ever seen Blacula? Loves that movie and about as classic as I go. My fave is Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned, like duh... :D Didn't really care for the Wes Craven spin on vampires as in Dracula 2000 and the 2 sequels that followed. The same goes for John Carpenter's Vampires. I liked the 1st and 3rd Blade movies, was starting to like the series on Spike but then they pulled it. And how about Forver Knight, that use to be my show. And of course, Dark Shadows...

Hey Akasha,
Yep, I've seen Blacula. It was campy and I found it rather amusing. I loved Forever Knight. I had an enormous crush on Knight's vampire sidekick, the one with the dark, curly hair and nice tush.
Oh, and Dark Shadows. I have the first one or two seasons on video.
Ah, to be such an accomplished sucker.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2007, 01:11:58 am »
Ah, to be such an accomplished sucker.

Butcha are, Mark.  Butcha are.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2007, 01:23:13 am »
  ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:25:25 am by aztecan »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2007, 03:00:43 am »
I remember scaring the shit outta myself as a kid, trying to watch those movies on our Betamax, lol.  I would turn the sound down and peek through my fingers as the movie got to a really scary part, lol.

Anyone remember the beginning of the movie "Prom Night"  ? It was a cheesey horror flick, and all I can remember to this day is a bunch of 10-year olds chanting "The killers are coming, the killers are coming" as they back a child to the open window of an old deserted house.  The kid falls to his death, I believe.   Creepy.......

Sustiva should be GREAT tonight!  Shit.
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2007, 10:06:56 am »
I remember scaring the shit outta myself as a kid, trying to watch those movies on our Betamax, lol.  I would turn the sound down and peek through my fingers as the movie got to a really scary part, lol.

Anyone remember the beginning of the movie "Prom Night"  ? It was a cheesey horror flick, and all I can remember to this day is a bunch of 10-year olds chanting "The killers are coming, the killers are coming" as they back a child to the open window of an old deserted house.  The kid falls to his death, I believe.   Creepy.......

Sustiva should be GREAT tonight!  Shit.

it was "her" death actually....oh yes ...I remember it well

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2007, 01:31:27 pm »
Iggy~

I swear we were separated at birth, lol!  Didn't one of the kids, a girl maybe, have on a horizontal striped shirt, turtleneck, and long brown ponytails?  I may have to order this on Netflix, but I live alone.  I'm scared now 25 years later, that it would still creep me out!

Halloween is coming, what the hell, right?  Time to get spooked!   :o
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2007, 02:41:32 pm »
both the boy and girl did if I am correct...if not I do remember the boy wearing a turtleneck.

Actually you should make it a Jamie Lee Curtis scream queen trilogy fest:  Prom Night, Terror Train & Halloween...if you are still in the mood for an oldie but goody beyond that I highly suggest Happy Birthday to Me and My Bloody Valentine.

All were some of my favorites from that time period.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.