Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:19:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: stubborn staph infection  (Read 20074 times)

Offline happy2008

stubborn staph infection
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
I am having recurrent staph infections on my chest.  It has been cultured as MRSA once, non-MRSA staph several times. I've had it for 3 months now.  I have to admit I am picking at it when I am half asleep, which doesn't help.  I've been given 2 courses of Bactrim, which helped somewhat but did not knock it out.  Any tips out there on treatment, how to avoid picking at myself, infection control?  Anything would help at this point.  I feel like I am leading my doctor thru this, and not the other way around. thanks.

Offline MYSTERY

Re: stubborn staph infection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:33:44 pm »
Hey Happy :D,

I had a MRSA staph infection on and off for three years it really sucked. It started in my ear and went to the back of my leg. When the ER doctor looked at it he thought I was Diabetic. Well it turned out that I was a staph infection. I was on several differant antibiotics and they didn't work. Finally one worked, but I was allergic to it and it made my lips and scrotum swell up. HEHEHE. It was terrible and then the doctor put me on steroids to get rid of the swelling. Make sure to see a good infectious Disease doctor to help treat your condition and if you can keep the area clean and cover it so you don't pick at it and spread it to differant areas of your body. I have not had any out breaks in over 2 years now. Good luck.

Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:38:11 pm »
The antibiotics that cleared up my staph infection was Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. It gave me the allergic reaction but cleared it up. You probably won't be allergic to it.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:20:15 am »
Fortunately, most MRSA still can be treated by certain specific antibiotics (for example, vancomycin (Vancocin), linezolid (Zyvox), and others). For MRSA carriers, mupirocin antibiotic cream can potentially eliminate MRSA from mucous membrane colonization. A good medical practice is to determine, by microbiological techniques done in a lab, which antibiotic(s) can kill the MRSA and use it alone or, more often, in combination with additional antibiotics to treat the infected patient. Since resistance can change quickly, antibiotic treatments may need to change also. Many people think they are "cured" after a few antibiotic doses and stop taking the medicine. This is a bad decision because the MRSA may still be viable in or on the person and reinfect the person. Also, the surviving MRSA may be exposed to low antibiotic doses when the medicine is stopped too soon; this low dose may allow MRSA enough time to become resistant to the medicine. Consequently, MRSA patients (in fact, all patients) treated with appropriate antibiotics should take the entire course of the antibiotic as directed by their doctor. A note of caution is that, in the last few years, there are reports that a new strain of MRSA has evolved that is resistant to vancomycin (VRSA or vancomycin resistant S. aureus) and other antibiotics. Currently, VRSA is not widespread, but it could be the next "superbug."

I hope this helps Happy

Offline happy2008

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 04:10:51 am »
Hi Mystery,

Thak you so much for all of your good experience.  It kills me that I have been spreading this stuff to the other satellite sites on my body (back of head that cleared up, 4 more spots on my chest not getting any better or worse).

I have no confidence in my ID doc...I have a lot of respect for my dermatologist though, so I will see him this week.

Do you launder your sheets, towels, underwear in any special way?  How long can it live on clothing?  can I spread this to anyone? I feel like a leper.....I need a bell to tie around my neck.

Thanks so much,  Happy

Offline edfu

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:59 am »
I've been given 2 courses of Bactrim, which helped somewhat but did not knock it out. 

The antibiotics that cleared up my staph infection was Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. It gave me the allergic reaction but cleared it up. You probably won't be allergic to it.

Happy and Mystery:  Bactrim is the trademark name for the generic name trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.   They are the same, identical drug.
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline happy2008

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:23:47 am »
thanks Edfu

Offline happy2008

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:44 am »
I had 2 10=day courses of Bactrim, spaced 2 weeks apart. Both courses ALMOST knocked it completely out.  I am thinking of asking the doc for a 15 day course, but don't know the protocol.  Any experience out there?

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:58 am »
about 6 months ago i had  an infection which was later diagnoised as MRSA ,treated with the proper antiobiotics,now i have a stye infection,going on 3 weeks  and i have noticed small warts on my  one of my toes!!AM I CORRECT IN THINKING THAT ALL THESE INFECTIONSNARE VIRAL INFECTIONS?would it help to have bactrim as part of my regular drug regiment

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:26 pm »
hey happy  :) ,
                       welcome to the world of empitigo !  I.E. staph infections !

I have been successfully  treated for  MRSA with  something called  " AUGMENTEN " it is a combo of two antibiotics
  It works havoc with  the BELLY  , BUT  it works to knock it out of your system !

I found that  eating a live yogurt AFTER  your done with the  treatment , like a week or more later

makes my system feel more regular .

hope your doing OK , karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 06:05:06 am »
    I have been successfully  treated for  MRSA with  something called  " AUGMENTEN " it is a combo of two antibiotics
  It works havoc with  the BELLY...

Oh, augmentin does cause some awful stomach aches for a few hours after you take it :(  I was given it by Thai doctors here for minor coughs and chest complaints, upon which of course it had no beneficial effect.  Also there is a risk of any antibiotic causing pseudomembranous colitis, a life threatening ailment.

I would like to suggest at least trying hydrogen peroxide applied topically to the lesions.  I used to get really nasty boils, mostly in the pubic hair region, though the first time I had them (I think in the month after I sero-converted) they spread and joined, moving down into the crease between thigh and pubic area, and became quite severe.  I don't know if this was staph but it seems likely.  I would not treat a large lesion with hydrogen peroxide, but what I did was apply it to small ones as soon as they popped up, and it cleared them up within days - they never became large ones.  Finally, a few months to a year ago this condition ceased entirely in my case, even though my CD4s reached their lowest ebb (around 190).

Lastly I would also like to mention something I have tried recently as a broad anti-fungal, but I think would generally fight staph - I bought a large bottle of 'Betadine Surgical Scrub'.  It is very red, and very foamy, and contains povidone-iodine as its active ingredient.  When I take a shower I use this solely for the nether regions.  One reason I tried this is that I have had a minor allergic reaction to the 'vehicles' used in anti-fungal creams, so this was a way to reduce usage of that.  Lastly, as an aside, I also discovered that 'colophony', which they claim is made from beeswax, seemed to clear up these minor allergic reactions within hours (reactions that otherwise took a week to clear up). 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:07:55 am by LordBerners »
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Roie

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:14:30 am »
hey happy  :) ,
                       welcome to the world of empitigo !  I.E. staph infections !

It works havoc with  the BELLY  , BUT  it works to knock it out of your system !

I found that  eating a live yogurt AFTER  your done with the  treatment , like a week or more later

makes my system feel more regular .

hope your doing OK , karl

Augumentim is perscribed often by the Doctors in Israel. It seems to me that its the preferred antibiotic. Sore throats etc. (of cause this is just my impressiom of having lived in Israel 20 years)
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline edfu

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:22 am »
Given what Berners has advised doing--or not doing--elsewhere on this site about penile warts and urethral "fungi," I would think four times about following any other "home remedies" he might recommend for other conditions.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 11:52:32 am »
Indeed
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 03:08:44 pm »
Given what Berners has advised doing--or not doing--elsewhere on this site about penile warts and urethral "fungi," I would think four times about following any other "home remedies" he might recommend for other conditions.   

I hardly think that using universally known anti-microbial agents manufactured by large drugs companies as they are intended to be used can be termed a 'home remedy'.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 02:49:56 am by LordBerners »

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 04:27:21 pm »
Defending Berners here [in this post], he makes a good suggestion. Using Hibiclens, Phisodex or other antimicrobical cleansers can assist in prevention of colonization of many germs. I'd also suggest to discuss this with one's physician or health care provider. Also, be aware that some people experience allergic reactions and that constant use may irritate one's skin. I've never had a skin infection but when first diagnosed with 6 CD4s, my doctor suggested having some on hand for any occasional minor cuts or sores as a precaution. it takes very little to use on minors scrapes, etc and rinses well in shower. I've had the same bottle for some two years and will probably last many more with sparing use.
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 07:50:17 pm »
I hardly think that using universally known anti-microbial agents, manufactured by large drugs companies, as they are intended to be used, can be termed a 'home remedy'.

Well, LB, when you are guessing at what's wrong with you and self-prescribing drugs instead of having a doctor diagnose and prescribe, then it sorta can be called a "home remedy". Or perhaps a fool's remedy.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joemutt

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 01:11:40 pm »
I had three staph infections in as many months (foot, elbow, knee)
Once I had to stay in hospital for IV antibiotica drip.
My dr told me the bacteria live in my nose and spread from there.
Nasty.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 05:32:12 pm »
I had three staph infections in as many months

Just curious, what did these look like, joe?  I used to get boils in my crotch but they went away for over a year.  Now I fear they're back (unless itis herpes).

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:23 am »
Just curious, what did these look like, joe?  I used to get boils in my crotch but they went away for over a year.  Now I fear they're back (unless itis herpes).

Dear Lord,

It doesn't really matter what they look like. Can't go by that. The original poster did the proper thing, and had it diagnosed by a doctor, by having it  cultured. Mention it to your doctor.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline nvhorseman

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 01:40:46 pm »
Dear Suffering:  If you are suffering from MRSA or VRSA, you need to go to an infectious disease doctor that you CAN trust.  Go to your local community AIDS center and get a referral for a trusted ID DR. who is gay friendly. Follow his instructions to the letter, NEVER stop taking ANY drug until it is completely used up, unless you have side effects and they are debilitating, then see the Dr. again. Headaches, nausea, mild diarrhea are not debilitating but rashes, vomiting, intestinal pain etc.  are. USE YOUR COMMON SENSE OR FIND A MEDICAL ADVOCATE THAT CAN HELP YOU MAKE MEDICAL DECISIONS.  If you don't know then see a Dr. AGAIN. Try to use both antibiotic pills and good assisted external hygiene, even if it means bathing twice a day. Keep your "nether" regions dry with corn starch, it's cheap and very effective. Remember most antibiotics are for BACTERIAL infections and will do NOTHING for FUNGAL or VIRAL infections, whether in pill form or for external usage. Those must be treated with specific drugs formulated for fungi and viruses. If you have external lesions, something like Betadine Scrub will help, but you must be vigilant in using them. And remember these and the others mentioned only affect BACTERIA, not Fungi or Viruses. Another good scrub for these external lesions is Nolvasan. It comes in a scrub and a topical cream and can be purchased at any horse or cattle feed store, or on the internet. Don't laugh, it works better than anything mentioned so far on external lesions with either a  bacterial or fungal or viral cause or all three. Yes, it kills bacteria, fungi and viruses!  Nolvasan is used in the dairy industry for disinfecting milking operations.  FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS on the label EXPLICITLY. Any allergic reactions are of course an indication to STOP USAGE!! Do NOT take this internally and MORE IS NOT BETTER. Follow the Directions to the letter.  I have used it and have had amazing results. But you may be different.  In the home remedy department a 25/75 per cent solution of bleach and Water in a spray bottle also is effective for all three contagions. That would be 1/4 CUP of bleach and 3/4 cup of water in a spray bottle. Spray it on in the tub when you are naked, let it air dry. Use a clean towel every time that won't bleach out and protect your bath mats and other things you do not want bleached out. Again, if you get an allergic reaction, STOP using it. Stinging is not an allergic reaction but a rash or spreading of the lesion is!!! Do NOT drink any liquid containing bleach of any brand name. Hydrogen Peroxide is a bleach just a different kind and is good to treat all three types of contagions but not as good as Nolvasan or bleach/water solution. Do NOT drink Hydrogen Peroxide either. When using any medication for an off brand treatment, home remedy or FDA certified drug or preparation,  BE CONSERVATIVE AND OBSERVANT IN USING IT!!! Follow the directions!  Hope this helps some of you. Be Well.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »
i know this is a hijack so i'm sorry ..but has anyone heard of staphaseptic and if so would you like to comment on it? i saw this on the riteaid shelves today  ???

http://www.staphaseptic.com/

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 02:52:54 am »
...If you have external lesions, something like Betadine Scrub will help, but you must be vigilant in using them. And remember these and the others mentioned only affect BACTERIA, not Fungi or Viruses. Another good scrub for these external lesions is Nolvasan. It comes in a scrub and a topical cream and can be purchased at any horse or cattle feed store, or on the internet. Don't laugh, it works better than anything mentioned so far on external lesions with either a  bacterial or fungal or viral cause or all three. Yes, it kills bacteria, fungi and viruses!  Nolvasan is used in the dairy industry for disinfecting milking operations.

Actually Betadine antiseptic 'paint', and Betadine Scrub both make the claim, on the label, that they kill viruses, fungi, spores, and one or two other more obscure things, in addition to bacteria.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.