Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bodybuilding/Fitness & Meal Plans  (Read 26639 times)

Offline Delby

Bodybuilding/Fitness & Meal Plans
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:25:28 am »
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but been busy with living! There is not enough info on these forums for people that are very interested in bodybuilding/weightlifting and keeping fit. I know when I was first diagnosed I thought I'd never exercise again. There could be others out there that feel HIV puts a ceiling on how much work you can do at the gym. So I thought I'd start a post where we can all chip in with our exercise routines and meal plans. Would be good to exchange notes and help esch other.

One thing I have noticed is I build muscle very slowly compared to my workout partners. I train just as hard or if not harder (6 days a week) and I eat very well consisting of 5-6 small meals a day with plenty of protein. However I do suffer from ulcerative colitis and insomnia which definatley get in the way.

Happy to exchange notes guys and gals so get posting and let's help each other. 

Delby

Offline Common_ground

Re: Bodybuilding/Fitness & Meal Plans
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:16:13 am »
Hi Delby

I did weights first time in 2 months today so I gladly share and discuss with someone else poz and into fitness and bodybuilding. I quite easily put on both muscle and fat so would like advice on how to loose some, Im buffed enough as it is.

2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Delby

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:02:24 am »
Hi Delby

I did weights first time in 2 months today so I gladly share and discuss with someone else poz and into fitness and bodybuilding. I quite easily put on both muscle and fat so would like advice on how to loose some, Im buffed enough as it is.

Hi there is a myth that you can lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time. You have to be doing either or. What is your current body fat %? if you want to lose bodyfat then take your basal calorie requirements and go a couple hundred calories less. Make sure you eat approx 1-1.5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight. So you cut the calories usually by reducing your carb intake. On the other hand if you want to put on muscle then increase your Calories past your basal rate. This should then see you putting on some size. Remember always use complex carbs such as oats, brown rice, sweet potatoe etc. Unless it's a PW shake which should include fast acting carbs such as maltodextrin.

What's your current training schedule and meal plan like?

Offline Delby

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:04:10 pm »
I'm suprised. Is no one interested in keeping fit and going to the gym? Rind that hard to believe. Thought we would of got a lot of useful and interesting responses.....

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:38:39 pm »
OK I'm bite, I've been doing weights for about 12 yrs. ( I took a break when I was too sick w/ the AIDS) I do something different every day 1st day bike riding about 10 miles ( takes about an hour and an half), 2nd day weight training for about 45 min to 1hr. ....

My otherhalf laughs @ me and teases me about doing this every day, but he does say he likes the way I look now, then when I was too sick to do any of this, for me, it helps me, and makes me feel better about myself ...

I feel so much better , I have a home gym, so no need to spend any money going to a gym......so says my hubby  ( as he just wouldn't hear of me doing this @ any gym) can't argue with him there he does have a valid point  ;D

I don't use sugar, salt, and don't eat anything fried, I eat a Lotta fish, fresh greens, fruit and whole wheat, and I drink lots of water, just plain ole water
w/ no additives in it  ;)

I hope this helps some of you who want to do any of this, I'm not a fitness guru, but my hubby tells me that I look Dam good to him  for a 55+ yr old man ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:00 am »
I am more interested about specific workout and nutritional routines to be being poz. Any particular tips?

Did chest and abs today, bench press 3 sets @ 10 reps 100 lbs and that was hard!

I lost strength since I got my dx ( I dont think related to the disease or meds but just being a train wreck mentally).

Also trying to adjust my eating: At least 2-3 liters pure still water a day, besides that I drink mostly milk, I eat a lot of fruit,some beans,nuts, and yoghurt. Besides this I just eat regular meals.

Never any problems with bowel movements or diarrhea. ( Im on meds)

No sweet drinks with high sugar, processed foods, trans fat and sweet or deep fried stuff, alcohol, drugs or smokes.

I also do supplements: calcium, omega 3 fish oil, zinc and multivitamin./ One tab each per day. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:38:00 am by Common_ground »
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:59:05 am »
I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm just very well toned  ;)

It's not perfect, some days you won't feel like doing it ( I have those days) and sometimes I take a break for about a 1 day or 2

I don't know how old you are or how long you've been doing this..

My advice, keep at it, it's hard work, it's not easy, ( not even for me) but I sometimes push myself to the limit..

it's not about how much you can lift, it's the more reps you can do
you have to find what method works for you and what your body is comfortable with  ;)

supplements are good, I take them once a day, they seem to help @ my age  :)

don't give up and good luck  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Bbnb

• say Hi! I love to chat !
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 01:14:50 am »
 I have been attempting to keep fit for years but really turned up the pace  on my nutrition and fitness a out a year ago. 

I have mainly stuck to a muscle building routine which has allowed me to make muscle gains and lose some fat and decrease several clothing sizes . I am still in a high protein /better carb nutrition plan but have increased my cardio recently seeing some gains in fat loss.   

I typically do a muscle building plan 3 to 4 days a week. Currently i am breaking it up itno a upper body/lower body workout days. Previously was doing a push/pull routine. i do cardio of some type everyday usually in the form of bike riding, walking, or the elliptical. I also do some kayaking when I get the chance. 

iamstill not at my ideal weight but my doctors are no longer bugging me about getting active because the changes to my lifestyle were obvious. 

My diet as stated before is typically a high protein/ better carb diet consisting of tie,s like: skim milk whey protein, oats, smoothies, fruits veggies, whole  grain bread.   I try to avoid sugar and use honey as a sweetener.  All of this is spread out over 6  meals a day.  I am not perfect in my adherence but I do pretty good.

Just looking to socialized with like minded people.

Offline Delby

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:02:46 am »
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but been busy with living! There is not enough info on these forums for people that are very interested in bodybuilding/weightlifting and keeping fit. I know when I was first diagnosed I thought I'd never exercise again. There could be others out there that feel HIV puts a ceiling on how much work you can do at the gym. So I thought I'd start a post where we can all chip in with our exercise routines and meal plans. Would be good to exchange notes and help esch other.
I have been attempting to keep fit for years but really turned up the pace  on my nutrition and fitness a out a year ago. 

I have mainly stuck to a muscle building routine which has allowed me to make muscle gains and lose some fat and decrease several clothing sizes . I am still in a high protein /better carb nutrition plan but have increased my cardio recently seeing some gains in fat loss.   

I typically do a muscle building plan 3 to 4 days a week. Currently i am breaking it up itno a upper body/lower body workout days. Previously was doing a push/pull routine. i do cardio of some type everyday usually in the form of bike riding, walking, or the elliptical. I also do some kayaking when I get the chance. 

iamstill not at my ideal weight but my doctors are no longer bugging me about getting active because the changes to my lifestyle were obvious. 

My diet as stated before is typically a high protein/ better carb diet consisting of tie,s like: skim milk whey protein, oats, smoothies, fruits veggies, whole  grain bread.   I try to avoid sugar and use honey as a sweetener.  All of this is spread out over 6  meals a day.  I am not perfect in my adherence but I do pretty good.

Interesting. My training schedule is:

Mon: Back & Bi's
Tuesday: Cardio
Wed: Chest & Tri's
Thurs: Cardio
Friday: Legs, Core/abs
Sat: Shoulders/Traps
Sunday: REST!

I try to complete my workout in under 1hr. I usually do 3 sets per excersise (12,10,8 reps increasing weight) and do about 3-4 exercises per bodypart depending on what i'm doing. If it's back & bi's then i'll do 4 x back and only 2 x bis as your already engaging the arms.

My nutrition is 4-5 small meals per day. Can't take whey as i'm lactose intolerant and i tend to go for high protein, low carbs. Current bodyfat % is 17, but reckon it's now about 16%. Want to get down to about 10-13% BF if i can.

Not sure whether having low BF is healthy for us HIVers?

What other supps does anyone take? Glutamine? BCAA's?

One thing I have noticed is I build muscle very slowly compared to my workout partners. I train just as hard or if not harder (6 days a week) and I eat very well consisting of 5-6 small meals a day with plenty of protein. However I do suffer from ulcerative colitis and insomnia which definatley get in the way.

Delby

Offline Bbnb

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
Interesting. My training schedule is:

Mon: Back & Bi's
Tuesday: Cardio
Wed: Chest & Tri's
Thurs: Cardio
Friday: Legs, Core/abs
Sat: Shoulders/Traps
Sunday: REST!

I try to complete my workout in under 1hr. I usually do 3 sets per excersise (12,10,8 reps increasing weight) and do about 3-4 exercises per bodypart depending on what i'm doing. If it's back & bi's then i'll do 4 x back and only 2 x bis as your already engaging the arms.

My nutrition is 4-5 small meals per day. Can't take whey as i'm lactose intolerant and i tend to go for high protein, low carbs. Current bodyfat % is 17, but reckon it's now about 16%. Want to get down to about 10-13% BF if i can.

Not sure whether having low BF is healthy for us HIVers?

What other supps does anyone take? Glutamine? BCAA's?

Delby

I have done a body part each day in the past with my work schedule found that committing to 4 days a week is about as good as I am going to schedule.  I tend to change it up pretty often every 4 to 6 weeks.  Right now with the upper/lower body part days. I am doing about 6 to 9 sets per general  part but that doesn't mean the same exercise . For example,  I do about4 sets of bench presses and 4 sets of pec dec flyes. 4 sets of pull ups and 4 sets of machine rows? Right now with lower body I am trying to do unilateral exercises .So I will do one legged squats and lunges, then move to the squat, leg curl and extension machines and do one legged exercises there.  I have to admit I find ne legged work harded than bilateral leg work. 

also like you I find I only do3 to 4 sets of bi and tri work since I am already pushing those with other exercises.

I am not sure about the low body fat issue. I tend to gain muscle pretty easily but my issue was gaining and not losing body fat. My doctors kept pushing  me to lose weight.  So there is  a threshold where we are having too much body fat.

The supplements I typically take are: whey , multivitamin, alpha lipoeic acid,  coq10, lcarnitine.

Offline Delby

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:27:54 am »

I have done a body part each day in the past with my work schedule found that committing to 4 days a week is about as good as I am going to schedule.  I tend to change it up pretty often every 4 to 6 weeks.  Right now with the upper/lower body part days. I am doing about 6 to 9 sets per general  part but that doesn't mean the same exercise . For example,  I do about4 sets of bench presses and 4 sets of pec dec flyes. 4 sets of pull ups and 4 sets of machine rows? Right now with lower body I am trying to do unilateral exercises .So I will do one legged squats and lunges, then move to the squat, leg curl and extension machines and do one legged exercises there.  I have to admit I find ne legged work harded than bilateral leg work. 

also like you I find I only do3 to 4 sets of bi and tri work since I am already pushing those with other exercises.

I am not sure about the low body fat issue. I tend to gain muscle pretty easily but my issue was gaining and not losing body fat. My doctors kept pushing  me to lose weight.  So there is  a threshold where we are having too much body fat.

The supplements I typically take are: whey , multivitamin, alpha lipoeic acid,  coq10, lcarnitine.

I've never done unilateral exercises and can't even imagine doing it for a squat!! I always get worried when squatting anyway, that something is going to give and the barbell is going to collapse on top of me!

How many calories do you consume a day as i don't seem to put on much muscle, which makes me think it's either my 2 diseases (HIV and UC) or just i'm not consuming enough carbs?

Offline emex27

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:31 am »
Hello Everyone,

I saw this advert on how to get better abs quicker...

Is it for real? I have Lipo issues... Waist 38", Tummy fat 44"...

I will try it and see if it helps...

http://sixpackshortcuts.com/?gclid=CM2EpL2UvLECFSsntAodploApw
Psalm 27

Offline Bbnb

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »
I am doing about 2200 to 2300 calories a day.   I have lost weight but not as much as I want but of course, I could definitely do more cardio than I actually do. 

My unilateral squats I typically do without weight at this point.  I do unilateral squats with weight on the machine.  I plan  on adding some dumbbell work to these squats but only with low weight.  I keep the high weights with bilateral work on barbell squats and unliateral work with machines like the leg press. 

Offline PortlandPoz

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:47 am »
Hey Delby- thanks for starting the post!

I work out 2 days a week with a trainer and then usually 1-2 extra days on my own. I lift and do cardio regularly and have lost about 40 pounds in the last 2 years. I was diagnosed about 7 months ago now and have been on Atripla since April of this year.

I can tell a distinct difference in how quickly I become fatigued since I've been poz so I've been doing more vitamins/supplements and have seen some improvement. I take a multi-vitamin, Co Q10, Glucosamine Chondroitin, fish oil, a probiotic, and a few other things throughout the day and space them apart. I boogered my left knee up and went to an orthopaedic who wanted to do an MRI which I'm waiting to get scheduled.

My biggest concern is will I make things worse on my body by lifting or doing to much. Does HIV break down certain functions or protections of our bodies? The orthopaedic said something like... with your history this isn't uncommon to have ligament issues. He also mentioned he sees quite a few HIV+ patients which made me question some of this.

Anyway I'm definitely interested following the thread and exchanging ideas.  :)

Offline Ihaveit

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:55 pm »
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed poz November last year and started my ARV flinstones last January. Last month i decided to go back to the gym and build a toned (not buffed) body. I still have minimal flabs on my abs and i want to see it toned as well. I have no problem with my upper, i got a twink-like, broad shoulder built. I'm interested to know what's the ideal duration of my cardio exercise.

AND more important to me..... i want to grow my muscles. I am co-infected with Hepa B but all is normal as of now. Can i take protein shakes? If yes, please recommend a brand.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 01:07:08 am »
OK I'm bite, I've been doing weights for about 12 yrs. ( I took a break when I was too sick w/ the AIDS) I do something different every day 1st day bike riding about 10 miles ( takes about an hour and an half), 2nd day weight training for about 45 min to 1hr. ....

My otherhalf laughs @ me and teases me about doing this every day, but he does say he likes the way I look now, then when I was too sick to do any of this, for me, it helps me, and makes me feel better about myself ...

I feel so much better , I have a home gym, so no need to spend any money going to a gym......so says my hubby  ( as he just wouldn't hear of me doing this @ any gym) can't argue with him there he does have a valid point  ;D

I don't use sugar, salt, and don't eat anything fried, I eat a Lotta fish, fresh greens, fruit and whole wheat, and I drink lots of water, just plain ole water
w/ no additives in it  ;)

I hope this helps some of you who want to do any of this, I'm not a fitness guru, but my hubby tells me that I look Dam good to him  for a 55+ yr old man ;)

That is the way to go! :) Even though I have difficult with muscle gain. I have noticed a massive improvement in mood and health in general. It really does make a difference. That sometimes I take advantage of it by relapsing to Little Ceasars...   (just for a day...)

Hi Delby

I will say you are lucky!! I am what you call a typical "Ectomorph" Skinny legs/arms is a pain! (I am 6'1')

I've never done unilateral exercises and can't even imagine doing it for a squat!! I always get worried when squatting anyway, that something is going to give and the barbell is going to collapse on top of me!

How many calories do you consume a day as i don't seem to put on much muscle, which makes me think it's either my 2 diseases (HIV and UC) or just i'm not consuming enough carbs?

If I was you I would highly recommend sticking to mostly compound exercises. Even if you are lifting 30 pound squats. I assure you it is far more effective than isolation exercises. Do not compete with the guys who are lifting 200. 

Back in high school I used to bench 150.  (I haven't benched alot lately) but I can hardly do 90 without gasping for breath now.  ( I am 22.)   For us guys it's an ego thing. Lift more. Compete. (Gay or straight. That's how we are) Competition. BUT.. I will say this. ANY seriously bodybuilder/conditioner. Will tell you form is more important than weight. Once you have become stronger, you can naturally move on to higher weights.  If you can't keep your form. Don't expect anything long term.       I see these skinny muscle guys who are benching over 250.  & then I see these "men's health"  muscle bodybuilders who are barely able to do 1 rep at 190.     Bulk vs. strength are two different things. If I had bulk to my ratio of deadlifts which is 300. ( I would be a lot more muscular than I am now)

If you are still afraid of squats. Do deadlifts. Those will make a difference I guarantee you. My muscular bodybuilder friend (Who is natural and looks like a greek god. I am envious to almost insanity)  He Says that deadlifts are the most important component exercise for muscle building. If by 8-9 rep it is not burning to failure you need to move up the weight.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:11:41 am by TheRoof »

Offline peer_gynt

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »
This is a rather interesting topic.

I have always been fairlry active, and after I was diagnosed positive I had to quit my favorite activities  boxing/fighting/MMA/Wrestling, that broke my heart, but in that kind of sports there is always an exchange of blood...
Anyways...
I didn't come here to say that...
But rather to talk about my new favorite physical activity, Crossfit.
The work outs are short (you will need to devote 30-60 minutes per session) and very comprehensive... if your goal is bodybuilding this ISN'T for you... but you most definitely will look athletic toned.
I do it 5-6 times per week and I love it...
Also I still train but cannot longer fight :(...
Again I invite everyone to Xfit!!!

Offline Valmont

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »
Yes, an interesting topic, for sure...

In my case, I´m still practicing Rugby... Last year, when I knew I had HIV, I dealed with the possibility to have to stop after disclosing to my coach and Federation, but as there are no really problems if biosecurity is properly used if I have a cut and because they´re not going to ask for a negative test to everybody, I just go on with the sport and it makes me feel very good, the good is that I can stop it when I will decide it...

However, last months, I noticed I started loosing weight and becoming weaker (I´ve never been very strong so loosing 2 - 3 kg starts to be a problem for me; I´m 1,87 m 72 kg actually 34 years old; in 2009, 81 kg, very fit...) and don´t know how to deal with it.  I think HIV made me loose weight, but I´ve never had large diarrhea's moments.  I´ve just started meds and hope I´ll be better soon, but I think I have a problem with my alimentation, probably I´m not eating properly.  Since I started meds, I have less appetite and ate less.  Also, protein in powder generate me diarrhea, including in small quantities...

My objective is keeping fit, sufficient for playing 80 min high intensity and avoiding hurting me.  I train 3 - 4 times a week, but sometimes I end really exhausted and other very well. 

Any advise?
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline PerfectlyHuman

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »
I don't have any specific diet plan but I know that whatever I eat is healthy. I usually cook but eat out sometimes when I just have to. I still take protein shakes and Creatine and workout maybe 4 times a week depending on work and school load. Haven't lost any energy or weight except few wakes ago when I got depressed finding out my diagnoses but I gained most of it back. The only thing stopping me from packing on 20 more pounds like I want is my hectic job. I have put on weight but not as much as I would if I was working somewhere less stressful. I'm 5'9" and 169 lbs.

I'm on Truvada and Isentress. *No side effects*

Offline Valmont

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
When I was in Canada few months ago, I feel much better in regard to diarrhea matters.  For now, I´m eating out all the time because of my work, I try to eat healthly but not sure about safety food management in kitchen restaurants here; if I cannot change that, I don´t think this may improve...
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....

Offline Reaching_out

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 03:16:20 pm »
Hey All

Although I still haven't got back into regular gym work since getting my diagnosis back in May, its good to be reading this stuff to start triggering my motivation and interest again - depression and re-addiction aren't really conducive to gym work but I feel like I'm starting to move out of that space and am starting to remember how good I felt in and about myself when I was exercising regularly.

I had been following something called the MaxWorkouts programme - I think its similar stuff to what peer_gynt mentioned in Crossfit.  Workouts are short - maximum of 30 minutes - but damn intense. 

Monday, Wednesday, Friday its dynamic weight bearing exercise days - either using body weight or some simple bar/dumbells in pretty creative ways.  The guy who wrote the programme doesn't believe in isolation exercises so there are some pretty interesting dynamic movements going on - meaning the core is getting a good thorough workout at the same time.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are interval cardio days - again short but intense and Saturday a 40-50 minute jog/swim or cycle.  It's all about lean muscle mass - not for bodybuilding though - and its available online.

Feels good to me writing about it and reminding myself - any one else been through lows and lulls like mine where exercise seems a bit of an insurmountable effort and any tips for getting myself back to it?

Offline Valmont

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 04:09:52 pm »
I tryed crossfit two weeks ago, it so intense, really really hard in my point of view, despite exercing regularly, I just could not finish the series but I think it is a really interesting exercice for getting fitter and feeling better in a short time...  In my case, I´m not looking for bodybuilding, just improving cardio performance and resistance...

Welcome here Reaching out...  Just go back and train, you´ll see how good it is for you and forget about HIV and problems...  About tips to go back, I don´t know what to say, but it is just a decision that makes you much more better than you are...

Offline Delby

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 06:27:38 am »
Hey All

Although I still haven't got back into regular gym work since getting my diagnosis back in May, its good to be reading this stuff to start triggering my motivation and interest again - depression and re-addiction aren't really conducive to gym work but I feel like I'm starting to move out of that space and am starting to remember how good I felt in and about myself when I was exercising regularly.

I had been following something called the MaxWorkouts programme - I think its similar stuff to what peer_gynt mentioned in Crossfit.  Workouts are short - maximum of 30 minutes - but damn intense. 

Monday, Wednesday, Friday its dynamic weight bearing exercise days - either using body weight or some simple bar/dumbells in pretty creative ways.  The guy who wrote the programme doesn't believe in isolation exercises so there are some pretty interesting dynamic movements going on - meaning the core is getting a good thorough workout at the same time.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are interval cardio days - again short but intense and Saturday a 40-50 minute jog/swim or cycle.  It's all about lean muscle mass - not for bodybuilding though - and its available online.

Feels good to me writing about it and reminding myself - any one else been through lows and lulls like mine where exercise seems a bit of an insurmountable effort and any tips for getting myself back to it?

Hey Reaching Out,

Why should HIV stop you from working out? I have Ulcerative Colitis and HIV and have to run to the toilet more than 8 times a day with diarrhea from my UC. However, i push myself.

Don't settle for being mediocre and get out there and work out. It helps so much with your health, mental health, body, mind, wellbeing and also having an outlet. My training partner is ripped and he doesn't even know i'm HIV but i can keep up with him and do MORE than him, so what's stopping you? Certainly not your body. Just your mind.

So stop delaying and putting it off and just do it. Once you stick with it for more than 3 weeks, you'll be hooked!

Delby  ;D

Offline 0608

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 10:30:12 am »
You shouldn't let HIV keep you from working out.  In fact, let it spur you on.  I'd been slacking from the gym for months and months until I got diagnosed back in June.  Since then, I've worked out at least three times a week, and today I did a set of 10 pull-ups, which matches my personal record.  :)  The bottom line is, working out is awesome for both the body and the mind.

Offline Reaching_out

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »
Hey All

Thanks Valmont, Delby and 0608....I need a few kicks up the proverbial backside to get me back to regular working out....and I realise its my mind holding me back at the moment rather than my body but I'm getting there.

I haven't been a complete sloth over the last months since my diagnosis - I cycle 10-12 miles a day - its the gym stuff thats fallen by the wayside.

Anyway I got my gym gear ready at work today (workplace has a gym) and committed to myself to get back there first thing Monday morning.... 

Offline Valmont

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »
Great !!!!

Offline peer_gynt

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 04:08:32 pm »
I did a set of 10 pull-ups

Congratulations!! :)

Offline peer_gynt

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 04:09:12 pm »
Anyway I got my gym gear ready at work today (workplace has a gym) and committed to myself to get back there first thing Monday morning....

Wonderful!! :)

Offline Reaching_out

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 04:25:17 am »
Morning All

Just to say I stuck to my commitment and got to the gym first thing before starting work - felt good - back on the MaxWorkouts plan...

Here's to tomorrows interval cardio work....

Offline Delby

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 08:21:41 am »
Morning All

Just to say I stuck to my commitment and got to the gym first thing before starting work - felt good - back on the MaxWorkouts plan...

Here's to tomorrows interval cardio work....

Well done Reachingout!! Keep it going. Remember, don't give up before you reach the 4 week mark. It takes that long to see the changes and reap the benefits.

This is one way we can fuck this disease and show them who's boss, by exterting yourself and pushing yourself to the limits. In that respect we're no different to everyone else. HIV needen't be a reason to limit activity. If anything it's a reason to get active and get out there. I have also gone on the paleo diet and have lost a lot of fat. Anyone eat paleo?

Delby

GET MEAN!  >:(

Offline mikael

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »
Hey guys (and gals?)!

I have been poz for almost twenty years now, and at a "young" soon-to-be 60 years of age I now have been working out at the gym five days a week for the past one and a half years. My emphasis and workout routine changes periodically but I basically do a lower - upper body workout, hitting all major muscles twice a week and the smaller ones once a week. I do several exercises for each muscle group ( up to 21 sets of 8-10 reps eg. for chest, and a bit less for other muscle groups ) each workout day, and total an average of 9-12 different exercises each day. I add in some boxing and some ballet training, as well as elliptical or fast-walking on the treadmill in periods. Two years ago I was terribly overweight, hobbling on crutches, had skinny arms, was exhausted all the time, and had terrible balance. I have lost almost 20 kilos, and I am currently trying to lose another 10 or so. My muscles are quite visible now so I am now starting to focus more on doubling my reps rather than increasing the load so much more ... this to lose more fat. My big challenges are eating several small meals a day, and keeping alcohol consumption to a controlled minimum. I have other physical maladies which challenge my training but imho it is just to figure out how to get the most of the exercises with the best form possible ... given the bodies and afflictions we have. I am addicted to working out, but if I were to miss a week I would feel all the old aches and pains again, and soon be back on daily doses of painkillers. With daily exercise I once again have a functioning life. That 1.5 - 2 hour workout every weekday morning is a great investment.

Are there others here that are working their major muscle groups twice a week? It works for me but restitution over time can be an issue ( i.e. overtraining symptoms can become an issue every 10-12 weeks ).

I tried eating organic plus fish for about eight months. Lost a lot of weight but my body finally shut down during a workout and screamed "bloody murder". Now I eat meat, fish and poultry regularly.  I do not use any supplements or performance enhancers. I read much about exercise, diet and health on the internet forums but I figure we all have to tailor our approaches to our own goals, needs, genetics and health profile.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:21:52 pm by mikael »

Offline mikael

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:13 pm »
This is a rather interesting topic.

I have always been fairlry active, and after I was diagnosed positive I had to quit my favorite activities  boxing/fighting/MMA/Wrestling, that broke my heart, but in that kind of sports there is always an exchange of blood...
Anyways...
I didn't come here to say that...
But rather to talk about my new favorite physical activity, Crossfit.
The work outs are short (you will need to devote 30-60 minutes per session) and very comprehensive... if your goal is bodybuilding this ISN'T for you... but you most definitely will look athletic toned.
I do it 5-6 times per week and I love it...
Also I still train but cannot longer fight :(...
Again I invite everyone to Xfit!!!

Never tried CrossFit but I have taken a couple of semesters of intensive circle training with up to ten stations of cardio and strength training. One was a boxing cardio course. The "rest periods" in between stations were two minutes of jumping rope  :'( It was fast-paced and exhausting but a great one-hour workout. I was always too tired to lift weights afterwards. Must be my age ...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:46:13 pm by mikael »

Offline keat85

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »
I did loads first time in 2 several weeks these days so I happily discuss and talk about with someone else poz and into health and health and fitness and weight training. I quite easily put on both muscular and fat so would like guidance on how to reduce some, Im buffed enough as it is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.