Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:14:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 486
Total: 488

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Some reflexions on AMG London 2010  (Read 7691 times)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Some reflexions on AMG London 2010
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:04:12 pm »
Hi to all of you who could not make it to London.

I just returned home from a very sunny, warm and heartwarming weekend.

It has , once again, been a wonderfull experience to meet new people and see back some old friends.
What a privilege it is to just be able to meet people you have never spoken to and feel as if you knew them for years.

What a vibrant  bundle of energy Emma is. I bet her presence can light a candle without using a match.
She was so kind as to take us around in her car on some occasions and we had a great dinner with her in  an Italian restaurant. The woman just looooooooves soccer and there is no way you will get a date with her in the next month... world cup soccer is coming up soon.
She is also a bit naughty ( more then a bit) and ....the nitty gritty will somehow be revealed I guess....She is a handy woman.... (lol)

Charles and his friend were around all the time to guide us through London. Having Londoners show you their city is such a privilege. Both are real Brittish gentlemen and yes, they have British humour. Thank you guys.

It was good to see Cliff again. He is such a charming American living in London. He looked just great. Is it love???

And then I spent three nights with Jody. Witty, naughty and caring.. that is what Jody is all about. He is a gem and I love him.
He insisted on staying very clean... (ooops Jody inside joke).
Just ask him why he had his head bent in a 90 degree angle after three days in an attic.... lol

And then Germany sent us Cerrid. What a smiling, charming sausage that was.  Always friendly and really really heartwarming. 10 points for Germany.

And of course we had the ceremony. It was held in a park, where we lit candles for all the members and people that died of HIV. Specially thinking of Ric and Lisa, who were taken from us this year. Believe me, no eye was dry. I must admit it brought a lot of grief back for me... and then it is so good to be amongst friends. Thank you all for being there for me.

Off to bed now

xxx Love  Hermie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:21:38 pm by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Some reflexions on AMG London 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:26:50 am »
Dear Hermie

I'm so glad you had a good time in London, I heard the weather was great..lucky you, did you see any of the london sighhts?

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »
Hey Hermie

It's great to hear you all had such beautiful weather and a great time (though I have to admit I'm still jealous--I love London!).

I've always loved the gatherings.  Because as you so aptly put it when you posted:

"What a privilege it is to just be able to meet people you have never spoken to and feel as if you knew them for years."

Thanks for the update and take care of yourself buddy.

RAB   ;D

Offline gemini20

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:33 pm »
So I took Jody back to Heathrow this afternoon and London AMG finally ended for me. What an experience! I can only echo what Hermie wrote about meeting people you've never spoken to and feeling like you've known them for years.

From Thursday morning when I collected Jody at the airport I knew that these few days were going to leave me with memories that will stay with me forever and so it proved to be.

Although we were only small in number we were big on experience and crammed so much in to our few days together.

A few highlights that I will remember from my time with the guys:-

Boat trip down the Thames to Greenwich Park and Observatory
Theatre trip to see Holding the Man - a very moving play with an AIDS storyline
Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace
Memorial service in Holland Park
Sunday lunch in Hoxton Square
Day trip to Brighton
Walks around Covent Garden; St James Park; the South Bank; under the Thames!

The weather was absolutely fantastic from start to finish, blue skies and lots of sunshine - I think I got too much sun on Brighton Beach (or maybe it was too much Pimms!).

It was a true delight to meet those from the Forum in person - Jody; Hermie, Cerrid, Cliff, and Charles as well as Cliff's boyfriend and Charles's friend who joined us for some events. Each one bought their own special contribution to the time we shared together and made these few days unforgettable.

As for me being 'a bit naughty' to quote Hermie - well what can I say - it's true!

Love you all guys,

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:23:18 pm »
I just came home, too. And yes, the weather was brilliant. I think we all took up quite a bit of a tan (or freckles, respectively).

But of course it was all about the wonderful people I met. We weren't a big group, but that wasn't actually a disadvantage. Not only didn't we have any problems getting a table in the pub, we had also much time to talk to each other and get to know each other much better than in a larger group. So I must say a big thank you to all my fellow AMGlers: You all have your hearts at the right spot - everyone of you made a deep impression upon me and I'm really really looking forward to seeing you lot again, hopefully next year.

Note to myself (1): Queens Arms in Brighton sells Newkie Brown.
Note to myself (2): Don't sit at the bar when it's karaoke night at Queens Arms or Aunt Tammy will get you.

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:35:17 pm »
Cerrid/Emma

I'm glad you got to see the reason we do this every year..meeting people who have supported us over the years is just wonderful..I'm pleased you were able to do that.

Emma..thank you for looking after jody for us ..he really is very special...I just adore him.

hugs

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:56:12 pm »
Now, of course, we will INSIST on knowing whether Jody behaved himself or not!
 :D

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:40:59 pm »
London was an awesome place for me to visit and I enjoyed every monent of my time there.  It was a terrific experience.  The history all around was breathtaking and the city was quite lovely, with greenery and lovely parks and quaint little gardens tucked away, unseen from the street, with several right near our excellent B&B called 69TheGrove in the Vauxhall area.  The Thames river snaking through the middle of the city was an ever present site.  

As Emma, a lovely, bright and energetic woman pointed out we saw and did so many fun things.  The Thames river boat trip, when Keith, a most intelligent and knowledgeable guy told us all about the areas throughout the city and their historical significance.  After the boat dropped us at Greenwich we walked up a hill where you have a magnificent view of town and went to the Prime Meridian where the eastern and western hemispheres are divided, and you learn about the beginnings of keeping proper time without having to just rely on the stars.  A walk back through a tunnel under the river was great as we sailed the river and walked under it both.

Our rememberance memorial ceremony for those who have gone before us, with special mention to our dearly departed Ric Wilke and Lisa Nowak was in a lovely setting and was a gentle reminder to cherish the wonderful memories and to always keep these good folks in our hearts and minds.

The play 'Holding the Man' was worth a trip to London by itself!  The topic about AIDS in the early '80's took us all back in time and the young actors were fabulous (and quite handsome indeed!!!!!!).

On my final day there I walked a great distance and did lunch at Harrod's for a cup of soup and a half roast beef sandwich that was to die for.

The folks were great, our London friends were friendly, bright and kindly folks and thanks to Emma, Cliff, Charles and Keith for their hospitality and generosity and to Hermie and Class for a real fun time!

And I was well behaved except perhaps for that night at the Roman Spa (where there were no mud baths I must say).  ;)

Jody              

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:43:22 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »
And thanks to Cliff's BF for his kindness as well !

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 06:31:24 pm »
On my final day there I walked a great distance and did lunch at Harrod's for a cup of soup and a half roast beef sandwich that was to die for

Visiting Harrods is a must if you are in London,if only to browse,  my Aunt Betty used to work there in the "Cheese' department ..yep they had a huge department dedicated to just Cheese...and I used to visit often.
I'm so glad you had a wonderful time Jody but still upset I'm going to miss out on your company this year, if only the AMG had been a been in August...never mind, you all had a great time and that's the main thing.

Hugs
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:33:14 pm by anniebc »

Offline Jody

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »
Dearest Jan...I do hope your dear aunt didn't smell like cheese!!!  Yes indeed, departments for everything...a piano section, bedding up the gazoo, perhaps for you? :D  They had gorgeous wooden tables for merely 44,000 pounds if you've got that lying around, maybe under your new bedding...But there were jams and jellies and chocolates and fish, yes fish !!! and clothing, and pefumes and kitchen counters, you know just everything from soup to nuts and they had them as well !

They even had an opera singer when I went with the guys and she was belting it out from a balcony, just near the area where the pianos and whatever other instruments were.  I thought Herman was either going to cry or have an orgasm from that voice already!!! But yes it is an extraordinary store and was a fun experience from someone to whom a trip to the local department stores is more of an ordeal than a pleasue I must say. ::) :)

Thanks so very much for your most kind words Jan, they do mean alot.

Jody :)  :) :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:28:55 pm by Jody »

Grateful Dead

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »
All sounds incredibly wonderful .... one of these days I'll make one these gatherings ... abroad or domestic ... but looking forward to it. So glad it went well for the attendees. -YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.