Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:37:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 299
Total: 300

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Friends"  (Read 2520 times)

Offline BM

"Friends"
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »
I joined some friends last night for a few drinks. One of them (who knows about my HIV status) was boasting about his recent conquests, detailing some quite risky practices with guys he'd met from Gaydar. He then appended that he wouldn't do half the things he does with a guy if the guy told him he was positive. This seemed a bit strange: what if the guy he met didn't know his own HIV status but was positive? What if a positive guy just didn't want to tell my friend about his status? Would my friend's chances of contracting HIV be diminished by this lack of information? I put this to him, and after a lot of ooh-ing and aah-ing, during which he said he didn't believe my concerns applied to him, he told me that he hoped I'd continue to have a happy and active sex life as long as I could square with my conscience the possibility of infecting someone else. He hopes never to be in my situation.

What is happening here? My friend is an intelligent man who abhors all other forms of discrimination (he recently stood as the Liberal candidate in an election). He supports prosecution of HIV transmission: "the positive person is in possession of knowledge the negative person doesn't have" (where is the negative person's responsibility to safeguard his/her own health in that situation?). Discrimination against HIV positive persons is "just human psychology", in his mind. Is this a case of someone who recognises the risks he's taking but would like someone to blame other than himself if he ever gets a positve diagnosis? He's certainly not a very good friend.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: "Friends"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »
This person does not share your perspective on safe sex practices and does not share your opinions about individual responsiblity and HIV.  His views may or may not have much to do with his qualities as a friend - thats up for you to decide. Sometimes people who have very different politics or moralities or lifestyles make the best of friends. Think of The Odd Couple - Felix and Oscar. 
Sometimes, if one thinks deep down someone is prejudiced against some thing or quality that is intrinsic to one's identity, you can't really be friends. Its how you deal with difference, really.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:15:49 am »
... and after a lot of ooh-ing and aah-ing, during which he said he didn't believe my concerns applied to him, he told me that he hoped I'd continue to have a happy and active sex life as long as I could square with my conscience the possibility of infecting someone else. He hopes never to be in my situation.

I don't believe that someone who is really your friend would say something so mean and hurtful.  Or they would at least apologize if you brought it to their attention (not that you should have to, but perhaps your friend had taken leave of his senses temporarily).

Is this a case of someone who recognises the risks he's taking but would like someone to blame other than himself if he ever gets a positve diagnosis? He's certainly not a very good friend.

There are neggies out there who not only don't want anything to do with a pozzie, but really wish us pozzies would just go away so they could have a blissful and unfettered sex life, without having to bother to put in any effort or thought into protecting themselves.  That neggie's life would just be so much easier and more fun if all these HIV+ people would just go away.  And if they won't, then by golly, he will put pozzies on notice that they will pay dearly if they have the nerve to infect him.

It might be nice, for your friend anyway, if the world worked that way, but it doesn't.  You confronted him with the reality of the risks he is exposing himself too, and rather than take responsibility, he lashed out at you.  I wouldn't be surprised if the health department knocks on your friend's door some day, or he finds himself visiting his doctor -- if not for HIV then for some other STD.  Sticking one's head in the sand is not a particularly effective way of preventing transmission of any STD.

Regards,

Henry

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:18:07 am by BuckmarkTX »
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:58 am »
He hopes never to be in my situation.

I'm afraid he will be though.   I know of two local guys, who would 'bareback with neg. guys"....one tested poz in 2007, the other I saw at my clinic in 2008.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:07:33 am by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.